Thread: HANDY TOOL

For those of you that do cut-outs I found a tool that has been very handy. It's an InfraRed Thermometer I bought at Sears.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...&vertical=TOOL

I had a coupon for ten dollars off and they gave me another five on top of that, I don't know why but, heh, thanks!

It is especially useful indoors. I could identify exactly where the nest was through sheetrock. The entire wall would be within one degree and the nest area was a full four degrees higher. There was no guessing and no need for probing the wall making un-necessary holes or cutting out an area of sheetrock that did not need to be removed.

Using outside is a bit more difficult. Although it was a very small hive I could still find it on the first shot but it was not as a dramatic temperature variation as when used indoors.

In another situation it was confirming an area was not inhabitated. I haven't done that job yet, two seperate colonies twenty foot apart in a hebrew temple. The temple has been rebuilt but now has double walls and will be a real mess to get to them. But at least I know where they aren't.

I had looked at another handy tool last year called a termatrac.

http://www.termatrac.com/newsite/

It lets you see inside of structures by reading heat and movement. Only problem is that you can't buy it, it is only for rent. The rent and license is around three grand per year. Makes the thermometer look pretty good, huh?

I recomend that anyone that does cut-outs on a regular basis get an InfraRed Thermometer. It will save you time and save your customers un-needed repairs. It also helps you become more professional in the eyes of your customers making you worth their investment.
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

Great tool tip....... sure makes sense. And cheap enough all things considered.

Also the homeowner gets a sense of "bells and whistles" when they get a bill....

THANKS BULLSEYE! I use a stethoscope and I can usually detect the broodnest temperatuve difference with my hand, but this will be a great help.
    Triangle Bees

Yeah, I use my infra-red all the time, and it
    works very well... IF the evening is cool.

It is not much help in the heat of a summer
    day, for reasons that should be obvious. [img]smile.gif[/img]

And check froogle - there are much cheaper
    prices at mail-order houses than Sears' price
    for the same sort of unit.

Thanks Bullseye Bill; was woundering how well they might work. I'll check out Shucks Auto, I think I saw one there, that way I get my 10% Military discount.
    \"ONLY WHEN THE LAST RIVER HAS BEEN DRIED UP<br />THE LAST TREE BEEN CUT DOWN<br />THE LAST WILD FISH CAUGHT<br />WILL MAN REALIZE YOU CAN\'T EAT MONEY\"<br />GHANDI (?)