Another brain fart here.......

I was thinking my 6 X 12 could handle 8 each 4 way pallets aligned parallel to the axles if I could figure out a way to make them slide out 1 foot on each side when set up.

Much like drawer slides, or RV slide outs.

This would provide nice walk way down the middle to work them. And keep the trailer narrow enough to head down the road.

Might nix my other trailer idea for sure. Love the idea of 32 colonies.

Ideas??? Parts sources??

I have loads of heavy duty 3" garage door track, rollers, etc. but haven't figured out how to incorperate them.

Bruce, I'm confused about this idea of moving bees on pallets around with a trailer. If you plan on having several hundred hives, won't you need lots of trailers (at 32 hives per trailer)? How do you intend to put honey supers on the hives, and, more critical, take them off when they're full?

I'm presuming you're going to have a forklift of some kind to put the pallets on the trailer. Wouldn't it make more sense to go the more conventional route with a flatbed truck & tow the fork behind the truck?
    Gregg Stewart

Gregg you are correct sir......

Forklift is a big yes..... later though when $$ allows. I am converting an old Ditch Witch V30 I have to a makeshift forklift for now. I know sounds crazy but it has 4WD, and plenty of hydralic capability. And most important....... I have it already, and it's paid for.

I will have the traditional out yards but want at least one set up that is quickly mobile for varital honeys.

As I said this is a brain fart...... Trying to make what I already have (smaller trucks, and trailers) work for me.

Down the road, with any luck, I can spring for the nice flatbed, bobcat, etc. Used semi and 48' flatbed are planned for 2008. Now I have to make do.

Thanks for making me think about it... it is appreciated.

Sundance,

They make heavy duty slides that would suit your purposes. But, they are $100+ per slide (I have seen as high as $300 or more depending on the size). If you had 8 pallets, you would need 16 slides. Sounds pretty pricey.

I don't believe that garage door track would stand up to the horizontal load. Sorry I sound negative. It sounds like a great idea, but can you bring it in within your budget?

I appreciate it.

I was concerned about the load too. But remember the pallet will only extend 1 foot.

Commercial garage door track is very heavy duty. It is designed to support doors in the horizontal position that weigh well over 1000#.

Commercial garage door rollers are rated at 300# each. So each pallet would only require at most 4 rollers. I have sealed bearing 3" rollers with stainless shaft and high density urethane wheels.

The more I think about it, the garage door track would work great. At only 1 foot extension the track itself does not need to extend beyond the trailer bed.

Two ideas.
    Forget the stainless shafts. I use the door rollers with the hollow centers. A half inch bolt through the center into the pallet, two or three to the side, with 1 in. of the roller protruding below the pallet,setting on the edge of 1/4 in. thick 2X2 angle iron. Even 3/16 in. thick would do.

Otherwise, forget the rollers and put a hinged 2x12 along the side and drop it down flat when parked and hinged upright when traveling, to hold the pallet on the trailer. Slide the pallet in and out with the fork lift.

PS. No, I don't use the rollers on trailers. I use them on sewing machines.

Thank for the ideas.

I am going with the 3" steel track with 3" sealed bearing rollers, 2 per side. Each roller has a weight capacity of 300# so total load capacity of each sled/pallet will be 1200#, well over what is required for 4 colonies per pallet.

Each roller will be attach to the sled/pallet via #1 11 gauge garage door hinges (the hinge will never move, just have hundreds here free).

The system will operate much like a drawer. When at the site you can pull lynch pins to unlock the roller/track and easily pull the pallet out 12" or 18". There will be stops in the track to prevent it from coming out too far. This will create a nice center alley for working hives.

I already have the trailer the system will go on. It is an aluminum frame 6 X 12 with a single 3500# axle. It is factory pre-drilled already for a second axle. So I will be adding a second 3500# axle. Suspension is torsion.

All 4 corners will have crank down jacks for leveling and stability.

With all parts already on hand the only out of pocket cost will be for some lumber.

Wish I could show a drawing as it is frustrating to describe.........

I'll post pics when done.

As said earlier I am getting by on what I have.