Recently I found a webpage that was selling a ventilated hive top simolat to the DE hive top, but shorter and that also had an insulative foam insert for winter. The hive had three holes in the front and back and 4 along the sides, you could buy the thing or DL the plans.

Anyone know of this website? I cannot find it again.

Keith
    Bee Sting Honey - So Good, It Hurts!

"zactly - thanks bunch

Keith "I must be getting old . . . but then, that beats the alternative" Benson
    Bee Sting Honey - So Good, It Hurts!

Naaaa..... the search function does wonders!

I made one of these, with a couple minor changes. It's been great! No bearding whatsoever even in 100+ degrees (combined with a SBB). What about in the winter filling it with shredded paper? I'm thinking it would insulate plus absorb moisture. Thoughts?
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

I would be concerned about paper. It would sag and consequently lose any R value. Plus not sure about molds, etc.

I'm sticking with closed cell polystyrene (the pick stuff). A sheet would do 12 colonies.

I use the same type box too but modified so that I have a little swivel door on the bottom much like on a double screen board, that way I can vent the humidity in the winter and allow them a second entrance/escape. I also use the pink insulation and never have condensation problems!

I have seen newspaper used as well as fiberglass insulation some members of the local association. I'm told it works just fine by other members of the local association. Basically they took hardware cloth was stapled over the bottom of a shallow super, then it was filled with newspaper or fiberglass insulation and then the box was placed on the hive. Small wood blocks nailed on the top of the super offset the telescoping lid just a little bit so as to allow moisture to escape though the insulation and out the top.

-Tim

I've seen the fiberglass insulation used but I don't like the concept of all those sharp fiberglass fibers falling on my bees and into the supers. I would think newpaper would also collect respiration moisture in the winter and break down. Closed cell Polystyrene sounds good.
    Just my opinion!

I don't care for the handling of the fiberglass and storage can be a pain. The newspaper I assume holds up ok for one winter and is disposed of in spring. I do like the polystyrene myself, easy to store, reuse, and doesn't make you itch. I sometimes have some problems with ants burowing into it and making a home when I don't get it off the hive early enough in spring.

-Tim

Why not just leave it uninsulated? I have done this since I have used these hive tops and have had no problems. I believe it provides plenty of humidity control and cross ventilation.

I guess it depends on your climate. Here we get -35F (or lower) and every little bit helps.