Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thanks iddee....... This one is not going to see much highway travel. But I see the wisdom of them.

If I can scrape up another $250 by spring I will probably do it.

I amy also bump up the gauge of the tubing.

And I noticed your post did not contain any gremlins!!

I'd DEFINITELY go with tandem axles; far more stability!!!!!!!!

Lew

I have dumped this trailer plan in favor of the other one I started a thread on.

Double axles will be a must on that one as it will carry 32 colonies.

Just a thought; trailer house axles can be had real cheap in my neck of the woods. I bought pair with springs & everything for about 25 bux at an auction recently. Even have brakes (reason I bought them; have a trailer with similar axles & can't keep the surge brakes working; these are electric). Lots of folks don't like mobile home wheels/tires but they're easy to find used & I've been up to the weight capacity (10k gvw) several times with no problems.

Lew

I will keep my eye open for them...... I'd buy several if I can find em' cheap.

:mad: When your trailer starts to pass you at 70 miles per hour and you don't have trailer brakes, these may fit, but the smiley face absolutely does not.

Sundance I sent you a pm.

Lew

here's something to look at

there is no english explanation /me thinks
    page 1
    page 2
    page 3

and yes... that's not mine, i'll be making a trailer (or buying) this winter so.. i find this to be interesting

t0k.......... Very interesting........ Thank you.

Looks a bit too high for adding and removing supers though. Hard on the back.

SUNDANCE
    The axle placement on a trailer is TWO/THIRDS OF OVERALL LENTH OF TRAILER.If your trailer is 21'long from tip to tail your axle IS PLACED 14'BACK FROM HITCH. If you are going to run two axle's the spring hanger between the 2 is placed there have built several trailers and was schooled by a man who was alive when the wheel was invented why its 2/3rds the total length don't know but it works hope this helps

Thanks........ What is the tongue length as a fraction of overall length?

like the link tox?

quality trailer was who I use to get axle from and I think the brake option (electric) was about an extra $100 bucks, and you had to add another $100 bucks for the actuator in the cab. brakes are primarily essential when you are running an uneven loan even at low speed. when the uneven force of the load shift as you actuate the truck brakes and this momentum is transmitted thru the ball of the truck you will get this wild side to side motion in the back of the bed. kind of like a horse trying to kick his way out of a barn. in a one ton like I drive it is a bit scary. in anything the size of a half ton it would likely be deadly.

definitely up the size of the tube to whatever you can afford (although I don't think you plans specified quage or thickness.