Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

My favorite option on my trailer is the removable hitch. I sleep better knowing that a trailer russler doesn't have one that fits.
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

That is a great idea Bill. How many channels do you use? I was thinking of 3.

Otherwise I was planning on pulling the wheels and coupler.

>How many channels do you use?

:confused: channels where?

Go to my site / equipment / tools and look at a picture of the reciever hitch.
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

Yours is much too fancy for what I have in mind. There would be no deck because it would carry only palletized colonies.

I should have said box channel. Mine will have 3 each 2x4 channels. Center will have coupler. The outer 2 will be bent in and meet behind the coupler much like yours.

Nice trailer Bill!

Jon
    Will this software work even for us that are totally mechanically inept and don't have a clue?

David

Solidworks is in my opinion the best and only 3-D modeling program out there. I work for a University Engineering department that solely uses Solidworks.

With that said, I have never used the personal version. But about a year and a half ago, I started from scratch learning the full version of Solidworks (I already knew some AutoCad). After about 6 months, I felt pretty comfortable. IMO, you are not going to open Solidworks and start designing right away. Your time would be better spent, getting your ideas down on paper with a pencil and ruler.

Once you have your design fairly complete, let me know and if you are still convinced that you want a CAD drawing I might be able to help you out. I am very busy until the middle of September, but after that might do it just for the fun of it. You can download a viewer (SolidWorks E-Drawings) from the Solidworks website so you would not need to purchase any software.

Let me know.

Thanks Kenai....... I was intimidated just looking at the Solidworks site.

My main concerns are axle placement in relation to the load to assure proper tongue weight.

SolidWorks can Calculate the Center of Gravity from a model(Assuming you can specify the materials that you plan to use). I think that the main issue would be to determine the minimum required capacity of the axle (plus a safety factor). From there, it would be a piece of cake.

Oops, sorry. I ment the Maximum weight of the trailer to size the axle, plus a safetly factor.

Anyone have any thoughts on these? I am likely to be too small potatoes to bother with one, but the idea is neat.

http://beesupply.com/shop/product_in...roducts_id=223

Keith
    Bee Sting Honey - So Good, It Hurts!

Keith,

Saw that very one on ebay quite awhile back. Thats what sparked my interest.

I do not like the 2 story set up though. The thought of working supers off that sounds horrible!

But yes......... the frame is basically what I am shooting for but single story, clamp down 4 way pallets.

Bruce - he can make them in any configuration you want. The cost is in most of the stuff underneath rather than the top rack. I asked for a quote on a single story oe for 12-16 hives and it was 19 hundred and change. Very nice guy - got me a quote in <2 hours.

Keith

Preliminary (very preliminary) estimate for me to build my own with all new material is a bit less than $600. Not including paint.

I am going to coat mine with spray on truck bed liner (I do that on the side).

Nice - that coating is incredibly rugged. I trust there will be pics when you are done??

Keith

Absolutely........ will not be completed until next spring at the earliest though. Money priorities will be into boxes, frames, and such first.

That's a pretty good price Bruce. I paid $1200 for my 5 X 10 and $2200 for my 8 X16 Ft. Not to mention the self satisfaction of building it custom. I added rebar rails for tie downs and a tool box on the hitch for mine.

There isn't much to the trailer thus far Joel. Preliminare estimate mind you.

So far:

3 each 24'- 3 x 1 1/2" Rect Tubes $205.92
    4 each 4'- 3 x 1 1/2" Rect Tubes $ 69.02
    1 each 2000# Axle w/Hubs & Springs $149.99
    2" Coupler $28.00
    Fenders $12.99
    2 each Tires on rims $85.00
    45# Urethane Bed Liner with primer coat $135.00

So far $685.92

Over all length is just shy of 24 feet with deck area being 18 feet X 4 feet

It will hold 4 each 4 way pallets or 16 colonies.

To access the colonies there are 3 each 26" wide "catwalks". Pallets and catwalks are orientatied parallel to the axles.

May put lights on..... not sure though.

Licences not required on small trailers here.

Forklift loaded so no ramp needed. Can place supers off my Toyota flatbed.

Keep in mind there is no deck, just tubes. Deck is not needed with pallets.

if you are using the single axle design you will likely need to place the axle about 60% towards the rear of the trailer since you need a bit of tongue weight to give you good tracking. in my experience a single axle trailer is difficult to back up and a three axle trailer is impossible.

I would go for a used dual axel, electric brakes camper trailer frame assembly. They are built for running on the road without hassles. Have a twenty one foot camper frame sittin in field that I hope someday to make a honey house out of. Around here they go for five to seven hundred dollars and with title you can easily put plates on it.
    "Younz" have a great day, I will.

Bruce, having owned thirty or more tag-along trailers of various sorts, and now own around 12 or 14, I will say this. If you ever pull a dual axle with electric brake, you will not buy anything else that is more then 8 feet long. I have had them try to pass the towing vehicle too many times to ever pull another heavy load without brakes. It is no fun. A dual axle is easier to hook up, pulls smoother, and sits leveler than a single axle, besides the extra capacity.
    Plus, when your neighbor wants to pay someone 200,00 to move an 8 X 10 outbuilding, you won't be volunteering with a single axle. Nor all the other side jobs I do to pay for my trailers.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast