Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Price Wars

David,
    There is a supplier in Damascus. He retails mostly from Kelly's, but his prices are good. He used to own the Massey's Hardware store in Conway, then the Honey House on hiwy 65, now he sells from his house.
    Jon
    Jon, N6VC/5

Jon!

Thanks man! The shipping charges for stuff I can't make was going to kill me. And now that gas has sky rocketed in the last couple hours I think it's only going to get worse. Hey! Maybe this will cause branch or outlet stores to open around the country and jobs for local business'. One can hope. Thanks again!
    David

I quickly threw together an excel spreadsheet to compare pricing of frames, foundations, and shipping to my location of some of the major suppliers I knew of as well as a couple of local suppliers. I only got pricing on deeps and mediums and assuming purchased quantities in excess of 100 in most cases. The scenarios I ran under different tabs, compared using 5 body deeps and 8 body mediums. I'm sure I probably missed some vendors and maybe even some products but I think I got everything that was on shown on their websites.
    This has been a valuable tool to assist in selecting the most economical way for me to build 10 new hives for next year.
    Feel free to e-mail me if you'd like to see a copy. Someone may even wish to expand on it by adding additional vendors or products that I missed.

I'll be buying equipment from a small time local guy. He makes most everything, and would likely make something special if someone wanted it. No fancy dove tails but everthing is still made good. No shipping costs is what makes the deal, in additon to supporting local business. Generally I can find stuff priced cheaper through the big outfits, but when you figure in shipping thats it.

I would think co-ops would be a good place to find people like this, but I met him through the local bee association, which is probably your best bet. I don't think he advertises at the local co-op.

If anyone in my area or passing through is interested in contacting him,

Larry Chadwell
    Oliver Springs, TN 37840
    (865) 435-7502

I have found Miller to be as cheap or cheaper than most http://www.millerbeesupply.com/
    Beegreat

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12