how do you make rabbits for the frames? is it possible to do it on a table saw?

thanks
    Danny
    Happiness is something final and complete in itself, as being the aim and end of all practical activities whatever .... Happiness then we define as the active exercise of the mind in conformity with perfect goodness or virtue.

Danny,
    I use a dado blade and the table saw to make rabbets. I added the top bar instructions to the project tonite.
    http://nordykebeefarm.com/forum/foru...asp?FID=6&PN=1
    Jon, N6VC/5

Cool

man i love you jon
    Happiness is something final and complete in itself, as being the aim and end of all practical activities whatever .... Happiness then we define as the active exercise of the mind in conformity with perfect goodness or virtue.

my bad, i meant the rabbits on the hive bodies that the frame rests on, jon your still hella coo

Danny,
    I'm sorry. I assumed you were talking about the frames. I will do the same for the hive body when I get through with the frames.
    The first step in making the hive body front is to plough a rabbet with the dado blade 3/4"x3/8" using the fence set to 3/4" and the dado blade height set to 3/8".
    While you have this set up, move the fence out of the way and place the box joint jig on the table. Place the spacer block next to the indexing pin and place 4 sides next to it. Clamp the sides to the vertical support. Remove the spacer piece and cut the first groove. This will create the 3/8"x3/4" recess for the rabbet on the front on the side. Go through all your sides, then raise the blade to cut 3/4"x3/4" for the rest of the cuts.
    I use frame rests to make up the extra depth. These can be purchased or you can make your own out of flat stock.
    I hope this helps until I can finish the other.
    Jon
    Jon, N6VC/5

yeah, with the dado, it's hella easy...I have zero woodworking skills or handyman skills in general, and I was able to make em just fine [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Ask two beekeepers, get three answers

Usually I just make two cuts on the table saw. One from each direction.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

You can also do them on the jointer on the rabbet ledge. And if you really like eating sawdust, you can plow it with a router. If you love hand tools, sharpen up the old wooden moving fillister plane or get out the Stanley #45.

Ross,
    I never thought about using the rabbet ledge. I generally have the dado head in the table saw when I'm doing boxes. Tunnel vision.
    Jon
    Jon, N6VC/5

There are lots of ways to do most woodworking operations, including hand tools.

Man your title set up some wild mental images!

haha yeah, dont need anymore pests to add to the list

Ross,
    I enjoy watching Roy Underhill, But when push comes to shove, I guess I'm a Norm desciple.
    Jon, N6VC/5

I do a lot of both. I use machines for all of the sizing operations and any rough work. When it comes to furniture, I like to hand cut joinery and hand plane finish surfaces. Even most of my machinery is early cast iron monsters.

Ross.
    Check out the frame building section and look at the block plane. This would get Roy's goat!
    It's kinda backwards, but it works great.
    http://nordykebeefarm.com/forum/foru...asp?FID=6&PN=1
    Jon, N6VC/5