Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Mag man, great contest!
    Instead of a barrel shape I would go with a rectangle. Make it out of plywood and epoxy (West system is what I use). It will be light, strong, and if coated properly on the inside it will be food safe. Build the container around your frame needs to fit the number of frames your motor can handle.

Only down side is there will be increased wind resistance over the barrel shape design.

for example build your container 20 inches high (1 frame on end), 24 inches wide (to accomodate 4 frames wide) and 36 inches on the axis ( to accomodate 4 frames on either side of the bearing / center rod). THis would let you do up to 8 frames at a time.

This is a woodworkers answer

Don't forget guys you have to build the frame holder and how are you going to do that?
    Home of the ventilated and sting resistant Ultra Breeze bee suits and jackets
    http://www.honeymoonapiaries.com

you have to build the frame holder and how are you going to do that
    easy if you build the container out of marine grade plywood, say 3 or 4 mm okoume. just epoxy support brackets lengthwise.

issue: if you put too many Frames they will be so far off center from the axis that you will not get the proper centrifuge effect. e.g.:

F F F F
    R R R R
    A A A A
    M M M M
    E E E E
    ---X---
    F F F F
    R R R R
    A A A A
    M M M M
    E E E E

"x" = center bearing

So I am tempted to try and make a pie shaped thing.

I've got it!!! Take a rear end from a car take the axle out of one end, cut it off to mount to the floor... Now bolt your drum to the other side and rotate drum and all.. No Magman-man you can not turn your car on it's side for the week end extracting.

Bumping up for updates!

For those that are interested i converted a hand extractor to a variable dc direct drive complete with an electric brake. dc is the way to go to turn a 9 frame you will need a minimum of 1/8 hp but i recomend a 1/6 hp. the conversion did not take any special tools

Although I am not done, here is an update. My twelve-year-old son has been pushing me like crazy to get this extractor made so he can sell honey. The youth of today have no patience. Why back in my day .....

I have purchased the motor and made the major components and coated them with polyurethane. So far I have about $35 plus tax in the project. If I had used bee’s wax, product of the hive, I would have been at $28 plus tax. I decided to use the polyurethane because it will clean up better than wax. I can just picture the wax moth webbing in twelve months.

I have purchased everything needed to finish it and will be below the fifty-dollar limit. What is really interesting is everything is new with the exception of the motor! Now how did magnet-man do that? [img]smile.gif[/img]

This is an extractor designed outside of the box and I am not yet ready to describe or show pictures of it until I have a chance to test it. Hopefully this weekend I will be able to post pictures and comments on how it worked out.
    Home of the ventilated and sting resistant Ultra Breeze bee suits and jackets
    http://www.honeymoonapiaries.com

Hi ckinser

Can you provide more details of your conversion?
    What parts used, where obtained, pics, etc.
    I have a hand cranked extractor that i would love to convert to motorized. I can buy the motor from the manufacturer, but the cost is over 220.

Thanks
    KS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12