Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EZ Frames

I tend to be old fashioned, but when I got back into beekeeping I decided to be bold and try a variety of things... traditional wood & wax, pierco 1-piece, wood boxes, BeeMax Polystyrene, etc. Well the facts speak for themselves... First year I had perfect, solid worker brood on ALL the Pierco frames. Wood and Wax were OK but the bees put a few holes in the foundation and reworked some as Drone cells. Year two, the only hives that survived were in the BeeMax bodies. The Pierco frames are still all solid worker brood. The wood & wax frames... about 15% Drone brood. My decision was easy... all purchases this year were BeeMax Polystyrene bodies, super, etc and 100% Pierco plastic frames. I purchased all from Betterbee, but I am in upstate NY so that made my supplier selection a no-brainer.

thats where i buy all my frames ekrouse ( betterbee), i like getting the cases because you never know how many you will need in a year especialy when your doing removals
    Ted

I have had some mixed results with the pierco frames this year. I caught a swarm early in the year and thought it would be a good opportunity to start it off on plastic. Well, they took to it wonderfully. Every frame was completely drawn out and full of brood. Then I put a second box on the hive. I coated the frames with sugar and hbh syrup. As of today, only 4 of the frames were drawn out decently. The rest consisted of the absolute ugliest comb I have ever seen. The only difference between the top and bottom box was the sugar syrup solution I used to coat the top frames with was quite a bit thicker than the mix I used on the bottom. I have know idea if that had something to do with it or not but its all I can think of. Which brings me to a question I have. I scraped the badly drawn frames clean and have them in the dishwasher right now. I want to rewax them and give them another try. Anyone got any help tips on how to re-waxcoat them?