Thread: Gloves

I occationally run into some mean bees that require gloves. I have had an allergic reaction (eyes) to what I believe was some yellow die in a inexpensive pair of leather gloves. I need a new pair. Who sells the best bee gloves?

I have no idea who sells the best ones. But if you're allegic to the yellow die in some leather ones, maybe you should try something besides yellow leather. [img]smile.gif[/img] Some have plastic ones, but they are hard to do any dextrous work in. I had some from 3 beekeepers that were grey goatskin leather with canvas gauntlets that I liked a lot. The leather was thin enough to work well and thick enough to be pretty sting resistant AND they weren't yellow. It sounds like your real criteria is that they aren't yellow leather. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Some people use all sorts of things from latex surgical gloves to platex dishwashing gloves. I have elastic on the sleeves of my bee jacket and I can tuck most kinds of gloves under the elastic (or better yet put them on before I put the jacket on). In the end different people seem to prefer different things. Experiment a bit and see what you like.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I bought a pair of the economy leather gloves from Dadant. They are grey leather and very nice to work in. I like them. They listed for something like $8.95. Work for me.

Ron
    Butterchurn<br /><br />Diplomacy is the art of saying \'Nice doggie\' until you can find a rock. <br /><br />Will Rogers

I have been using leather gloves but they really get messed up when doing cut-outs. Washing them makes them so hard the barely bend. Applying leather softner works eventully but turns your hands colors when you sweat.

This year I went to Lowes and bought the heavy latex lined disposable gloves. I REALLY like them, and they are pretty durable. I bought two different types, one was about three dollars and the other was five-ish.

I used one pair all day opening over forty hives doing inspections and never got a sting and my hands didn't get very sweaty at all.

The only annoying thing to me about rubber gloves is that the propolis builds up and they get sticky. But a hand (glove) washing with dishsoap takes care of that.
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

how often do ya'll wear gloves?I was not planning on using any at all,but do have a pair from Mann Lake, but seem very big then kind that goes up to the elbow,w/ vents half way up.So far have no need.
    If you build it they will comb it.<br />Tim Rolan

I don't use them often but some hives I do. I have good luck with the canvas type from dadant for about $6 It says they are not washable but I have washed them 3-4 times before they wear out.
    Todd Zeiner

Michael, I really wanted some pink leather gloves with no dye, but there seems to be a current shortage of both yellow and pink cattle. Thanks to all for the input.

Why not just put the gloves on and wash your with dish washing soap over and over till the dye is gone, rinse and wring out and set the gloves outside to dry then soak and liberally coat the gloves with olive oil rubbing it in to the leather. I use goat skin gloves and this seems to work. Hope that it helps you too.
    "Younz" have a great day, I will.

i just got a pair of vented gloves from "dandelion" http://www.beesource.com/cgi-bin/ubb...c;f=7;t=000075 which are very nice and of high quality, his jackets are also top notch.

throw in fast shipping and he is hard to beat.
    NH Beekeeper

Maybe it's not the gloves that your allergic to. Anytime I work the hives if I touch anywhere near my eyes--usually without realizing---my eyes begin stinging, burning, itching, watering. I have to suspend work, find water, wash well with soap and water. Don't know what it is but it is intense and overwhelming.

Thanks beeman202,maybe you are right, never had a problem before. 3 doctor trips so far and I think I have it under control. I tossed the gloves, maybe I should have washed em better like powernapper suggested. Great suggestion nhbeekeeper, thanks.