I guess I'm going to have to break down and buy a bee suit. I've used a veil and gloves up until now, but I'm dealing with a couple of aggressive hives, and they always find a way underneath my veil.

Do y'all have a preference between nylon coveralls and cotton ones?

Thanks

The bees can't get a good grip on the nylon so there are less clinging bees when you go back to the house. Other than that, they both work fine. The coolest one (literally) and an expensive one is the Golden Bee Products suit.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

The english style bee jacket in the for sale section is wonderful!! I just got mine yesterday and am impressed. For less than $50 you can't go wrong.

I worked about forty hives last Sunday in just a bug baffler. Then I opened up the meanies. They had been in a gum I removed two years ago, they were awful mean then and are just as vicious now. I only keep them around because they amazed me when I tried to release them into the wild blue and they walked into an empty LC hive body leaving their brood, nest and all. I don't give them the luxury of any treatments, feeding, or special care other than a wide birth when walking or mowing around them. Makes me wonder why I split them. When I opened them to see the progress I decided that perhaps I should get out the armor (Golden Bee Suit) after about a dozen stings. I just might spend the bucks and see if they are AHB.... Nothing penetrates the GBS!
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

Does anyone have a pic of the Golden Bee Suit. I am saving up for one for the hot weather. Just curious to see one.

Yep, on my web site I have pictures.

No prob,

Mine will be two years old in July, it still does not have any holes or rips in it. It snags easily but does not show any damage to the material. My biggest concern is that the old folks that run GB might croak before I get a replacement. I don't need one yet but I might as well have one ready in reserve. It just might be real handy for when I need help and all I can get is relatives. It might be easier to get help if I could guarantee they won't get stung.

Thanks for the input. I ordered a suit from Dadant that was $70 with shipping included, so I hope that will do the trick. I like the Golden Bee Suits, but perhaps I'll treat myself to one of those after my yard gets built up a bit more.

Bullseye Bill, I noticed the screened bottom board on your site. Are those built with plywood?

Thanks.

Phil

>Bullseye Bill, I noticed the screened bottom board on your site. Are those built with plywood?

A keen I you have. Yes, I was doing some renovating at the range and had removed a lot of 3/4 exterior plywood. I cut the wood 16 1/4 x 24 and a square hole 13 x 16 (ish) two inches from one end. Runners under the board are 1 x 1 1/2 x 24 and have the upper inside corner notched out 1/4 x 5/8 for the tray to slide in. On top of the board is 3/4 x 1 strips for the box to set on around three sides. All parts are glued and screwed, and the screen is stapled.

The plywood is difficult to keep paint on. I used good quality primer and two top coats and I still see some paint lifting. Perhaps it was because I did not clean the wood, maybe too much lead dust under the paint

My last batch of SBB;s were made with all dimentional lumber.

I also bought some of those plastic and stainless steel SBB's from Dadant, but that's another story.