Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Hive dimension differences

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  mwjohnson 
#1 ·
I have a question-what are the "standard" hive body dimensions?

The Beesource plans I have are great, but I am making hives that are 7/8" thick,but when I measure my hives(7/8" from Betterbee)it seems that the extra thickness gets taken from inside and outside(I supposed that the extra thickness was all outside)and did think that the frames in the 7/8" boxes SEEM a little closer than in my 3/4" boxes,and wondered what others thought about the little differences you find when you REALLY measure some hives.

I really don't care if the boxes are a little different,but am probably building my own from here on out,and want them to work well.

The other problem that I see is that if I follow the Beesource plans and let the extra hang out, I will have the bend my own tops,as the galvinized tops that are availible will be to small,or my telescopic "rim" really thin.

What works well for you?

THANKS!

#2 ·
The inside length is critical. It needs to be 18 3/8" from inside to inside and the rabbet needs to be 3/8" wide. The inside width could vary a bit without too much problems. Standard is 14 3/4" inside to insde. But with ten frames there is a bit of extra space on the outsides and cheating them by 1/4" total (1/8" on each side) wouldn't be that bad.

INSIDE dimensions are the critical ones.

Most telescopic tops have about 1/2" of slop in them so odds are a regular one will fit your boxes even if the extra is on the outside.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.