Question

Hey, I'm getting started. Got 3 swarms on the way. all my stuff is about ready. I got these real nice pine Hive top feeders from brushy Mountain. If I feed from the bare wood inside these, it'll get all cruddy. I used Helmsman on the outside, cause I liked the natural look of the wood. can I use this stuff on the inside without hurting the bees? Or maybe a clear epoxy, like that which Hyclas Paints make? Dont want to hurt the bees, you know......

I would use a polyurethane and do it about three coats and let it air out for a week or so before use. That's how I do all mine (I run top feeders on regular hives AND nucs).
    Central IL... where there are more hogs than people and more soybeans than hogs and people put together.

Same here on the polyurathane, but I'd thin the first coat so that it soaks in better. I once made a darkroom sink this way, it never leaked or bloomed.
    The last time I hade a wooden feeder, though, I used an oil-based primer, a top-grade latex top-coat and three more coats of water-base poly. This was seven years ago and that feeder is still in service. None of those coatings still exist in the same formulation, though, so my information is pretty useless.

Coat the seals with hot parafin wax,Heat the feader in oven 1st so it seals good is another way.
    B. roger eagles

I use fiberglass resin instead of polyurethane.
    Home of the ventilated and sting resistant Ultra Breeze bee suits and jackets
    http://www.honeymoonapiaries.com

Why not beeswax?? It's free and smells a lot better than all that other cr**!!

I've also heard of those who invert it and let the bees propolize it up. It's also been done with the "frame" feeders. I can't testify wheither it works or not.
    WayaCoyote
    WayaCoyote

I use poly on my feeders inside and out, let them air for a week and then seal the seams with beeswax. (Why not its free and the bees made it, therefore they will accept it!)
    If you see me runnin' you'd better keep up!
    http://hillshivery.blogspot.com/