Thread: Pump cleaning

Question

It sounds like a dumb question, but what is the proper way to clean a honey pump after extracting season? I purchased a used pump that was locked tight with crystallized honey. It's taking a lot of work to tear it all apart and wash it out. What is the right way to clean the pump out at the end of extracting and prepare it for the next year? Thanks in advance for the help.

I think I would pump some hot water through it to clean it out when you're done for the year. But now that it's stuck, is there a way you can warm it up without getting it too hot? Crystalized honey will usually liquify if you can get it reasonably hot. Is it plastic? Metal? Do you have a heat lamp? Like the kind they use for brooding baby chicks?

I think a heat lamp on it overnight might warm it up enough to help.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

If you can remove just the pump section, soak it in a bucket of water. After a couple of hours try turning by hand. I had one that stuck and it took a total tear down. My unit got clogged with wax. I tore the gasket so now it sucks some air along with the honey. No big deal.
    When I finish extracting/pumping, I recycle water from a five gallon bucket for ten minutes or so.

Since the pump really needed a cleaning inside and out anyway, I did a thorough disassemble. I melted the honey like you recommended with a small heater unit..worked like a champ. I'll be sure to run hot water through it when I finish extracting this year. Thanks. [img]smile.gif[/img]

By the way, this is a fasinating pump design! It was manufactured by Lobee pumps in NY many, many years ago. It's built to last another 100 years.

It may be a little to far,But a frind of mine run's a cheap grade of cooking oil through his at the end of the season,then at the beginning of next season flush it out good with hot water.

the cooking oil is good but mineral oil will not get rancid like the veg. oil will
    Stuart