Thread: Screen sizes

I need to contruct a cover type top over a outdoor pollen feeder that will actually sit inside the end of a pole barn. Out of the rain. I am having troulble with one of the local farms as the cows are vastly outnumbered at the feed bin.
    I am not able to put new pollen in every day, so I was hoping to have something I could load up with 3 or 4 days worth of pollen, between visits. I am looking at something that the bees can go through, but keep the many mice from feeding on the pollen. I have numerous sizes in the garage but when it comes right down to it, I am not sure what size mesh a mouse can go through and which they can't.

Anybody want to run down which size mesh screen is best for which job? I know I use #8 on the screen bottom boards, but what does other use the other sizes for? Thank you.

#4 (1/4") will stop the mice and let the bees through. It will slow the bees down but if you have enough available area of it it shouldn't be bad.

#5 will let bees through but cause them to lose their pollen and it will stop a queen.

#7 is nice to screen pollen to clean it. Pollen pellets fall through easily. Bees cannot get through. But I have had a bent wire let them squeeze through.

#8 pollen doesn't fall through as easily, but I've never had a bee get through.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

8 (1/8 inch) mesh will keep bees from getting at
    the pollen, so that's out.

6 mesh is used in pollen traps, so you don't want
    to use that, as you want the bees to take a
    full load away.

4 mesh (1/4 inch) would be the next step up,
    and I can't imagine a mouse getting through it.
    I do not know for sure, as I don't "open feed"
    pollen, and don't know anyone else who does.

But I just toss pollen patties in the hives.
    Why not feed "on the inner cover" of each hive,
    or slap an empty super atop each hive with
    a tin-foil "dish" of pollen?

I think he's trying to lure them away from the cattle feed.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF