PermaComb did in fact at that time, advertise that the comb could be used for Varroa mite control. The thinking then, applicable now as then, I had and still now, utilize.
Since PermaComb is 100% workder cell sized, there is virtually no place for the bees to raise drone brood which research has shown is more of a Varroa magnet than worker brood.
What users of PermaComb would do, is select a couple of the combs and cut out a 3 or 4 inch square of the lower corner of 1 or 2 combs. The bees will invariably build drone comb there in which the queen will lay drone brood. The beekeeper can then easily use his hive tool to shave out the drone comb brood, effectively reducing mite counts as much as 50%. This mechanical means of reducing Varroa is still used. I have used it with effective results for a number of years now. This concept is not new.
Furthermore, I have measured a number of PermaCombs with a caliper AFTER the bees have "cycled" it and have found that the ID is reduced from the new comb ID from 5.0-5.1mm to somewhere between 4.8-4.9mm. I believe the bees eventually accomplish what would occur by waxing the comb initially as your do manually. Of course by doing so, initial acceptance is facilitated.
I have a number of hives with foundation AND PermaComb in the brood chambers. And a number of hives 100% PermaComb. I have not used chemicals on the 100% PermaComb brood chamber hives (except Honey-B-Healthy in feed).
...When seconds count, 911 is just minutes away....