Thread: super lift

Hey all

I have been admiring my neighbours Easyloader on his web page. Quite the deal. I am seariously considering aquireing one, but they are very costly. So I am going to build one, or build one simular to this one. Anyone else out there build one of these things? Or of a different type? Let me know your experiences,..
    I have the materials to build it and the ability, just need some experiences.
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Ian; I built a hand loader about 15 years ago to load double deeps and a super or about 150# of weight. It was patterned somewhat after the one that was sold at the time by someone in Canada. It is a wide hand truck with an elevator nose.
    Basicly it straddles the hive from the front or the rear. A simple boat trailer winch, its crank handle replaced with a 16" steel rod wheel to lift and lower a nose plate placed under the hives' bottom board. The frame is 2"X 3/4" channel iron. It's fabricated so the nose plate attached to channel iron, slides partly inside of the frame that is attached to the handel that mounts the winch and also is attached to the wheelbarrow size wheels. The lift is stable carring or moving quite a lot of weight as long as it is lifted not more than a foot off the ground. When you get to the truck bed you elevate it to the bed hight and move forward and lower hive on to bed. It weighed out to about 120#. And you have to take it with you to unload.
    It has saved my bacon and my back several times when I had no help. It probably could have been fabricated with thinner stock to reduce weight but it was a prototype.
    Walt

Ian: www.herbee.com has a diesel ford truck flatbed with an easyloader already on it. You might want to check it out.

I bought a Kelley Bee Hive Loader (made sometime in the 1960s I believe) off ebay for $450. It is a 16ft long boom crane with 4 12v winch motors and is no longer manufactured. One motor to winch the cradle with the hive up, one to drive the trolly in and out on the boom, two more to levelize the boom itself. There is another hydraulic unit that pushes the whole thing up to double/triple stack hives. I've put another $2500 or so into it replacing all the motors/electrical, and it is now ready to load hives(not actually used on a hive yet). It's made to mount on a flatbed larger than a 1 ton but I have it mounted on a 20ft 12,000lb capacity trailer. I looked at the Ezyloader and decided $13,000 was more than I was willing to spend. It's been a great project. I can email pictures taken when I picked it up last Oct. No new pictures yet of it mounted and working. You need to rent the movie "Ulee's Gold" to see it working. You can still get all the parts from manufacturers like McMasterCarr and Kelley themselves.

I'd like to see the pix; have a high speed connection so size not important. Email is bcl at grandecom dot net.

Thanks!

Lew

Hey DocOz

I would love to see your pictures. Sounds great, and right up my ally. Send to Steppler@cici.mb.ca
    I have a bunch of questions, but I'll save them for after I see your pictures. Might save alot of patience.

Thanks
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Walt,

I know what you talk of. I considered buying one few years back, but it is not quit as pratical for my operation as a actual loader would be. Would be handy to have around though,
    Thanks for your comment
    I real appreciate it
    www.stepplerfarms.com