Thread: Moth Crystals

Question

I have my spare combs in a freezer. Does anyone use moth crystals? Where do you get them? How long do you let the equipment air-out? Any problems with moths while the combs are airing-out?

WayaCoyote
    WayaCoyote

Wayacoyote

Wax moth control in my area is essential.I either freeze my honey supers and unused drawn comb for at least 24 hours,or treat whith Paradichlorobeneze (moth crystals)
    Do not treat with NAPHTHALENE (moth crystals)
    as the chemical seeps into wax and may harm bees the following year.Air-out 2days
    Co Op stores have them

Terry

Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I have used the certan that MB had recommended in the past. I do like it, but have found that when time is tight, putting a cup of crystals on a paper towel after stacking the supers is very easy.

Not sure about in the south, but at least in the north, the moths have a time frame that you should be concerned with. Airing out supers in the spring is no problem since the moths are not active until june or so and runs up to the first good frost. You should have no problems for 8 months out of the year in northern climates.

Even in the south, air out supers within days of putting them on. And they should be going on strong hives that should have no problems kicking out a moth or two anyways.

You can get paradichlorobenzene at Walmart under the name "Moth Ice Crystals", brand "Enoz", in a one lb. container. Much cheaper than bee supply stores.

Just make sure it's paradicholrobenzene and not naptha or some other chemcial.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I just ordered some of the Certan.........can it be used in swarm traps as I would like to place some old brood frames to help catch them....
    You have to stop and smell the roses......but please watch out for my bees.
    www.johnwaynehoney.com

Yes, I would recommend it in a swarm trap with old comb in it. Otherwise the moths will eat up an old brood comb. But an old brood comb makes a good lure.