Thread: Frame sides

Can anybody explain to me the significance of the shoulders(1-3/8" wide) on the top half of the Dadant side-bars as presented by the beesource frame plans?

I cut a bunch of sidebars, only I inadvertantly cut them all one width, 1-1/8" which is the width of the bottom, and am wondering if I can just use them as is or if I need to either cut new ones or tack/glue a small strip on along those edges.

Thanks,
    rick

The significance is that they are self spacing. 1 1/8" is too narrow. You can space them with nails or a spacing comb of sorts that you make. It's up to you. If I only cut 20, I'd prolly recut. If I had cut 100, I might space them myself.

Good luck,
    Will

Use them in the supers with a spacing comb. I prefer them 1 1/4" but 1 1/8" is too narrow. 1 3/8" is standard.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

A simple and very old solution to this problem is to get hook eyes at a hardware store and screw one eye into each endbar. Note that 1/4 inch eyes are hard to find and that is what you will need for standard 1 and 3/8 inch spacing. The big advantage of the hook eyes is that very little propolis is deposited on the end bars as compared with the self spacing.

Fusion

Most frames that I've bought have the corners shaved off one side of every side bar. The instructions say to orient the side bars all the same way so that you always have a shaved side against a flat side when stacking them in the hive. This is supposed to reduce the occurrence of the frames getting propolized together. From what I've seen, they all get propolized anyway.

I like the idea of using a small nail in the sidebar. I suppose that nail (or hook eyes for that matter) could also be used to hold one end of the frame wire.

Thanks.

What do you mean by "spacing comb"?

>What do you mean by "spacing comb"?

http://www.beeequipment.com/search.asp

Search for product code 660
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

thanks, that makes sense now...comb as in that thing with teeth that you run through your hair. I was thinking comb as in honeycomb....