Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Coating question

5K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Gregg 
#1 ·
I have an older galvanized honey tank that I acquired (for free) about 5 years ago. It holds roughly 275 gallons. I don't think the inside of it had ever been coated with anything, so I got some of the plastic coating from Kelley (catalog # 353) and coated the inside of it. Over the last few years the coating has been peeling off while cleaning it out with hot water. Not sure now if:
1. It is worth the effort to re-coat it? And do I try to scrape/clean off the remaining coating?
2. What to use if I do re-coat it? Anything available that is more durable?

Suggestions?

#3 ·
I only know the camcote is what is recommend for coating galvanized. A lot of people have had galvanized equipment for decades and never coated it. I would guess one trick would be not to leave the honey in any galvanized eqiupment for very long becuase of the acidity of the honey.

#4 ·
Lew,

I also have an older galvanized extractor that is not coated and I have never worried about it too much, because as Michael has indicated, if the honey is not in contact with the galvanized metal for very long it doesn't cause any major problems. Now with my honey tank, I need to let the honey settle in it before filling barrels, so I generally fill it and let it settle over night.

Michael (& anyone else),

What are the implications to the honey staying in contact with the galvanized metal for a period of time (over night)? I also have a stainless steel holding tank of roughly the same size and have never noticed any difference in the honey coming from the two.

#6 ·
My main concern is that some areas the galvanized coating is completely worn through. I can remove the surface rust with a scotchbrite pad (have to do this regularly on machine tools) but would like to coat it so it doesn't come back. About how much area does a quart can of Camcote cover? Extractor is about 31" diameter; 29" deep iirc (24 frame)

Lew

#7 ·
A quart will cover the inside of your extractor about 5 times. I suggest you clean thoroughly, use a fine sandpaper to roughen the zinc surface, then apply 2 or 3 layers of camcote. This will give you years of protection.

I have an older extractor with a steel basket. I cleaned it thoroughly about 5 years ago and coated it with camcote. Its giving very good service.

Fusion

#10 ·
www.sanitred.com I do not have first hand experience with it, but my order will be here tomorrow. In a week I could give feedback about it. Everything I ever read from other sites said nothing but positive things about it.... reasonable priced also... and according to there website should be food grade compatible....
I at least recommend taking a look at their website.
SippyBee

#12 ·
Hi Clark,

I looked at the sanitred website and emailed them with a couple of questions. What are you planning on using their products for? Please advise once you get your order, it's applicability in this situation and how satisfied you are. Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.