I have only used finger joint boxes. has anyone used rabbited boxes. I am told it is just as good but the industry has gone to finger joints. Give it to me straight if you have used both.

thanks
    phillip

I have certainly used a lot of both. Back when I had fewer than 50 hives, I bought woodenware from dealers and they were all box jointed.

When expanding I happily discovered those made solely with rabbets. Now I buy deeps and mediums at 1/3rd the cost of woodenware from dealers, and when I have time I can easily make my own. (I just made 50 five-frame nuc boxes.) With today's glue (the most economical for the holding power is that from Kelley 800-233-2899) that is invisable yet sets up stronger than the wood, there is no reason to use any kind of finger joint.

I have some rabbeted boxes that are 40 years old and still are square and tight.

I figure there are two elements of beekeeping equipment that are so designed to limit the ability of beekeepers to reproduce them in their basement. One is finger joints and the other is hand holds. Neither is necessary. (Use a 2x instead of a recessed handhold.) The recessed handhold actually reduces the life of the box.
    Lloyd Spear, Owner of Ross Rounds, Inc. Manufacturers of round section comb equipment and Sundance Pollen Traps.

I have used both. I don't see any real difference except when you assemble the boxes you do it a bit differently. The rabbet joints you need a flat surface to square up the two sides with each other where the finger joint just slides into the fingers and doesn't have to be aligned. I've made many with butt joints glued and screwed with deck screws and 1 by 2's for cleats (or the scrap from ripping down a 1 by 12 to 9 5/8" or from ripping down a 1 by 8 to 6 5/8"). They all seem to last about the same. The butt joints are the easiest to make. The rabbets are easier to make than the finger joints, of course.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Finger joints are nice but not worth the cost. As lloyd said, its cheaper to go with rabbited and easier to make. With the outdoor glue on the market, and a good coat of paint, there is little difference.

I did tryat first as MB mentioned, and tried to make fingers myself. Not worth the time.

I rabbit everything, use outdoor glue, nail,(screws are too much also) paint two coats, and do not see any longterm difference.

can I glue them and use my brad nailer with 16 gauge nais to put them together?

You can but the brad nail will not give you as much strength as a couple of wood screws.
    you must endeavor to persevere

Wood screws are the strongest. Deck screws are inexpensive. But the power nailer is sure faster. [img]smile.gif[/img] I have to countersink the Deck screws so they don't split.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

If you rabbet the ends you can brad nail from both directions so that the opposing directions of the nails prevent each other from pulling apart.use the longest brads you can without coming through the side. I use a urathane based glue.
    Stuart

I use rabbet joints woth Liquid Nails and 4D Galv nails cross nailed they are very strong when dry.
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

Greetings . . .

I claim to be "carpenter", and have been fooling people for many, many years. [img]smile.gif[/img]

scsasdsa must know something about carpentery too!

When remodeling (tearing-out) others work, I often find Liquid Nail that has "let go".

honeyman46408; How are your boxes holding up?

some are 5 years old and still "ticking"
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

Finger joints VS Rabbeted
    I vote for the finger joints.
    With the aid of a simple jig, carefully set up, finger joints are as easily made as rabbets and a lot stronger.

I hear all this talk about the strength of gorilla glue, etc, but this is beside the point. If you overstress a rabbet by, say, dropping a box that lands on its corner it is going to pop the joint even if it has to tear the wood. The same event would do no more to a finger joint than perhaps loosen it a bit.

I've made rabbeted hives, though not locked rabbets, and they ALWAYS worked loose in a year or two. You fellows who have used them for years must be a lot easier on boxes than I am.
    Ox
    Oxankle

I too prefer the box joint over the rabbit.
    The glue surface area on a box joint is about three times greater than a rabbit. With today's
    glues both can hold up for years but I bet the box joint eventually will be in the field long. Just my 2 cents.