I purchased a honey pump from a friend with PVC hard tubing attached to carry the honey. I want to replace the PVC with clear flexible tubing. The food-gade version in the supply outlets is so much more expensive than local hardware supplies. Is there really any difference?

I am not 100% sure I have heard that some tubing is coated with a preservative type chemical to prevent dry rot. I use clear plastic hose either from a fish store or a place that supplies fountain and pond makers. I figure if it’s safe for fish and plants and not treated it’s safe for bees and honey. This probably does not satisfy food handling laws in the US if you are in business. Here in Germany it is easy to find materials geared toward doing just about anything “bio” or “natural”.
    Procrastination is the assassination of inspiration.
    www.customwoodkitsinternational.com

Yes, there is a difference. Food grade is easier to clean and has fewer deformities where bacteria can hide out. Your best source for food grade tubing is a farm supply place. You want milk tubing. Better source yet is a dairy farmer. They always have short pieces that might be just the right size for you.
    Lloyd Spear, Owner of Ross Rounds, Inc. Manufacturers of round section comb equipment and Sundance Pollen Traps.

This same clear food-grade tubing makes an
    excellent exit tube for an observation hive.

Why food grade, rather than the cheaper stuff?
    UV resistance. The cheap stuff will get hard,
    and turn milky-white, while the food-grade
    stuff is able to "age" without degrading.

Also, go down to the auto parts store, and
    get some stainless-steel hose clamps. The
    stainless clamps last forever, while the
    cheap ones will corrode in just under a year.

jim

Parker Bass and hose they are US wide. I talked then in to saveing the ends of the rolls for me some times its 6in some times it 4-5 foot a jar of honey here and there is all it costs.

Big Grin

Thanks everyone for the good advice. You've given me some excellent ideas where to get the tubing. For the reasons Lloyd mentioned, I'm sold on going with the food-grade version.

Check out the newest issue of Cook's Illustrated for an industry response to this question on food grade plastics. Not that I disagree with anyone above, but food grade simply means that you have met standards and been tested.

How much tubing do you need?