Thread: 4.9 mm

Oh -- the other question I had was, since the Lusbys leave space at the bottom of the brood combs without foundation, so that drones will be reared for breeding, wouldn't this tend to defeat the purpose of the SC, since varroa would be reproducing in this strip of drone brood?

No. The idea is to have a natural system in a hive. A natural hive has 10% drone comb. When varroa are almost entirely reproducing in drone cells instead of worker cells there is less damage to the workers. The smaller worker cells are less attractive to the Varroa so they tend to only infest the drone cells. And with smaller bees and smaller drone cells even the drones have shorter pre and post capping times and less Varroa reproducing.

Dee tries to have 10% drone comb. Not less than 10% Not more than 10%. 10%

The studies I've seen show no matter what you do, the bees will raise the same amount of drones (barring a failing queen etc.). The bees will rework however much comb they need to to make enough drones. They will reuse drone cells for honey or rework them for workers if there is too much drone comb.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

In natural drawn comb the drone cells are across the top of the frame. These are full of honey and pollen most of the time as they are on the outside edges of the comb. The only time I really find these being used for drones is in the early spring. When I first supered the bees moved the honey up for a spell and made a few drones. I find very few drones in these hives. The hives with the regular foundation(5.4mm) haas alot more drones.

>In natural drawn comb the drone cells are across the top of the frame.

Sometimes. Sometimes on the bottom. But it is usually on the edges of a worker brood comb. Sometimes towards the outer edge of the brood nest they will build a full comb of drone brood. Sometimes when they don't have enough drone comb and you put an empty frame with no foundation in they will draw a full comb of drone in the middle of the brood nest. But usually it's on the edges of a frame or a frame on the edge of the brood nest.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF