Thread: Swarm boxes

I have seen several new magazines advertise for swarm boxes that are 5 frame nucs boxes. Maybe I just did not pay attention in the past, but when did nuc boxes turn into swarm boxes also. I realize that nuc boxes have probably always been around to collect a swarm. But I will collect a swarm in anything handy that I have at the time. Cardboard box, etc. I always thought of a designated swarm box as a box I put out to try to collect swarms when I'm not around. I never thought of a 5 frame nuc box as fitting this purpose. I thought they would be small for best results. Are the mags mentioning swarm boxes, as boxes for knocking a swarm into, or are they just not clear with the idea of a swarm bait box?

Anybody have good results with 5 frame nuc boxes set out as swarm boxes?

And what is the ball-park number for the ideal swarm box. (square inches, etc.) I had thought I read something about the size of a deep body is about right.

Thank you.

I've read what you did, that a deep is about right, but I've mostly used five frame deep MDA nuc boxes (both plastic direct from MDA and wax coated cardboard from Dadant) with medium frames with starter strips in them. I have gotten swarms in them. Location seems more important than size. I'm also using a few wodden 8 frame medium boxes, but the five frame deeps are easier to get tied up in a tree.

Some places are selling a five frame nuc made of the same paper mache' material as those cone shaped "swarm boxes" for bait hives. Maybe that's what they are refering to.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Hmmm.... This "swarm box" may be intended for Queen rearing. We use this "Swarm Box" (actually just a 5-frame nuc box) as cell starters. You shake nurse bees into it with a frame of pollen and honey plus 2 grafted frames. Since they are queenless, they will start pulling the cells of all acceptable grafts.... after the cells are started, then you move the frames into the cell builder hives. Anyway.... that must be what they are selling it as. But maybe it is meant to capture swarms also...I've used them for that also.
    FWIW
    SippyBees

I've used the waxed cardboard nuc boxes as swarm traps. I bought the MDA splitter boxes. I made a wood shelf to secure the cardboard to, then hung it on a tree.

With pheromone lures and five frames of foundation, these wax cardboard work great...unless the swarm is of good size. Then you've got all kinds of bees hanging on the outside.

Also, one year of use, roughly April to July is about all they will tolerate. Even waxed, the begin to warp under from the rainfall.

I like them, but they are fairly short-lived. My other swarm traps come from home-made six-frame nuc boxes.

If you want, go to my web-site at http://www.feralhoneybees.homestead.com

It's still under some construction, but you can see pictures of how I hung and used these traps, even the home-made ones.

Grant
    Jackson, MO
    Beekeeping With Twenty-five Hives: https://www.createspace.com/4152725

gfcg731: Nice pictures and explanations. Do you have any tips about WHERE to put the swarm capture boxes? I've tried putting them (with lure and old comb) where swarms have been spotted before - so far no luck.
    Triangle Bees

From my experience it is a gamble. At best you get about 1 in 10 traps that get a swarm and that's if you place them well.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I have had the best luck placing my traps between 8 and 10 feet above the ground. The best place is in the locations you have seen swarms before.
    Clint
    Clinton Bemrose<br />just South of Lansing Michigan<br />Beekeeping since 1964

I keep one of the traps from Mann Lake about 8ft off the fround in a tree about 100 yards from the bee yard, the first year I hade it there I got 4 swarms one the year after and none last year but I did get one in a box seting on the ground by the garage 200 yareds from the hives so I think you put them out and what ever happens happens [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

Hi Grant

nice web site thanks for sharing!

david

Hi Grant, I also use swarm traps to catch swarms. That way I don't have to be at the location at the time that they swarm which I like. Works for me. Dale in S.E. Ks.

As for how many swarms caught per trap, it will vary from location to location. On average, I catch half as many swarms as I have traps. It also seems the best place to locate them is 8-10' high, and in sheltered areas, i.e. wooded fence rows, creek beds, ravines.

I also found that if I put three or four traps in one general location (spaced around the location), it seems to help attract more swarms, and interestingly, the swarms seem to favor one spot within the location, even though different trap designs/styles are used.

And can I tell you they prefer any one consistent style, direction of opening, height, tree size, etc.?

Nope. I've caught swarms in an old ten-frame hive body sitting on a fifty-five gallon barrel and in traps located in the ideal "preferred" location. They have me stumped. I catch what I can offering them what I got.

Grant
    Jackson, MO
    Beekeeping With Twenty-five Hives: https://www.createspace.com/4152725

Michael and others,
    If the 5- frame isn't as successful as you like, what Do you like? Regular Deep?
    Thanks
    WayaCoyote
    WayaCoyote

I'm happy with a five frame DEEP with five medium frames in it or an eight frame MEDIUM with eight medium frames in it.