As I still maintain many of these I was wondering how many are still being used in comparison to single walled hives.Most of our hives are stationary placements so they aren't moved around incase someone asks.I find the colonies over winter much better and aren't prone to decay with average care. YBCute@peoplepc.com
    Ohio

I've never seen a double walled hive. Do you have pictures? Are they standard (Langstroth) sized? I think that a hollow space between the walls would provide good insulation, but such a hive would be much harder to construct (thus cost more).
    Triangle Bees

Usually they are WBC hives but they are sometimes built with the same idea to Langstroth dimensions.

http://www.beesource.com/plans/wbc.htm
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

WBC hives for have been somewhat of a novelty. I do not see them as having a practical place due to their >2X cost. I do have egg laying going on in January in the WBC hives when the others have no eggs. This however does not seem to have any real benefit. They are attractive, and it might make others notice and become interested in beekeeping.

I believe that Brushy Mountains "Garden Hive", an an 8-frame Langstroth hive with a pointed top, is a takeoff on the WBC hive design. I use the hives just as I would any other hive, except I can put them in my front yard.

The double walled hives were popular around the turn of the century and to a large extent were marketed by the A.I. Root Co. of Ohio (their "Buckeye" hive). These were standard 10-frame Langstroth on the interior. The outer wall was an integral part of the box, unlike the WBC, which has a removable outer shell (and no true dead space between the walls).

You can find pics of the double-walled hives in many old beekeeping manuals and the ABC & XYZ books. At the time, colonies were overwintered in a single 10-frame brood chamber.

The space between the walls was filled with chaff or sawdust during constructioon. The telescoping cover was also very deep, covering a good portion of the hive sides.

The various Styrofoam hives have excellent
    insulating properties, if one feels that
    such insulation will help. I've not done
    any testing myself, but others have had
    mixed results.

If early brood rearing is the goal, insulation
    would tend to keep the sun from warming the
    front of the hive, and would not really do much
    to change the internal temperature of an unwrapped
    hive.

What one needs is thermal mass. Perhaps a large
    sheet of slate strapped the the front of the hive