A good buddy of mine brought me some 1" red cedar lumber from Mississippi. I am planning on making up some bottom boards to fit under my SBB. Reason being my SBB's don't have a panel or a way to close them up to do OA treatments.

Any advice? I was going to just make three sides, 1" x 2 - 3" then dado the side supports and then slide in the bottoms.

Any advantage making the supporting sides bigger than 2"?

thanks!

david

I wish I had a buddy that brought me lumber!

I can't see much advantage on bigger sides. It would make the whole stack taller when pulling heavy supers. Just my 2 cents worth.
    Todd Zeiner

I had four of those screen bottoms I bought before I knew better. What I did was to make two runners out of 1 x 2 and screwed them on the bottom outside edges. But first, set the runners on your table saw on edge and take the corner edge out 1/4 x 1/2 inch so you will have an area for the tray to slide in. Put those two notched corners up and inward and glue and screw the runners on the bottom. So far the best tray material I have found is the 1/4" shower masonite. It has a white material covering one side and stands up to the weather quite well.
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

Good idea Bill, thanks!

david

Todd wrote:
    <I wish I had a buddy that brought me lumber!

Yeah he is an old friend... Also brought me a bunch of gourds from MS for my purple martins! they are cheap to buy but cost a bunch to ship and break.

<I can't see much advantage on bigger sides. It would make the whole stack taller when pulling heavy supers.

OK, I still plan to make up a few, thanks for the input.

david