ok guys i hear that a 5 frame nucs is over kill for raising queens so would a 2 frame nuc be ok , i dont want to us them little 4 or 5 frame mini mating nuc's.
    Ted

I use two frame medium depth nucs and like them a lot. Here's a picture of an assortment of sizes. The one on the left is a two frame.

http://incolor.inetnebr.com/bush/ima...rtedWidths.JPG

I also made some 16 1/4" 19 7/8" (standard Langstroth dimensions) with dividers to make them into four two frame nucs with an entrance in each of the four directions. Here's a picture of a stack of them.

http://incolor.inetnebr.com/bush/ima...MatingNucs.JPG

http://incolor.inetnebr.com/bush/bush_bees.htm

Betterbee has two frame deep nucs. I made my own two frame mediums nucs.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I got my Walter Kelly book today and it looks like they have a new queen mating box. Looks like a deep box only it has seperate two frame compartments with their own entrance. Page 28 of the 2005 catolog.
    Todd Zeiner

hey MB when you bring a nuc through the winter do you put nuc sized supers on with honey stores?just wondering because i would like to winter some nuc's next year.
    Ted

No. I haven't tried five frame nucs (for overwintering).

My experiment this year is single medium eight frame boxes in a group with insulation. Plus a few 10 frame foam boxes. Last year it was 10 frame wood boxes over a screened inner cover. It didn't go well. Too much condensation and some stationary starvation in a cold spell when they couldn't move.

http://incolor.inetnebr.com/bush/bush_bees.htm

Search for "overwinter nucs". It's about half way down the page.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Hi Michael Thanks for posting the links and the great pictures. I especially liked the pictures of the mites.

It sounds like you prefer to use 2 frame medium nucs for mating nucs. I am going to make up some. I already have some 5 frame medium nucs. Is there any other size of nuc I should build? My plan is to try to make some queens by grafting, i have ordered the books but they're not here yet. This snow has me working in the shop...

Thanks!

david

>Is there any other size of nuc I should build?

I use all the sizes I show in the picture. 2,3,4,5,8 and 10 frame nucs.

2 frame nucs: I use these when I want to set a queen aside for safekeeping while requeening. I use them for mating nucs. I use them when I find swarm cells and I want to get some queens from them. Usually I populate them with a frame of open brood and a frame of honey and shake in the bees from one frame of open brood.

3 frame nucs: Mostly I use these when I run out of 2 frame nucs. [img]smile.gif[/img] But I also use them when a two frame nuc is getting crowded and the weather is still cold at night. I find that a small number of bees can do well if the area is limited enough. So I often move a two frame nuc that has flourished into the 3 frame nuc.

4 frame nucs: I like these for a couple of reasons. One is that I make them exactly 8" wide so I can put two on top of a standard 10 frame box. This is really nice in deeps, if you gnerally run deeps for the brood and another size for supers, because you can get some drawn comb from your supers this way. But I also use them when I have a three frame nuc that has outgrown it's space, or sometimes a two frame that is really busting at the seams and needs more room.

5 frame nucs: Partly I use these just because they are what is available and I don't have to build them from scratch. Otherwise I'd probably makd them 6 frame nucs. But they are nice to install a new package in. They really flourish in the early spring. A month later when this is full of brood and bees, I'll move it to an 8 frame box, but that month is usually when the nights are still cold and the bees are still struggling. They seem to take off much faster in these. They are nice for a small swarm.

8 frame nuc: I know some people say a nuc is a five frame box, but 8 medium frames is about the same as 5 deep frames, so this is about the size of a 5 deep frame nuc. It's a nice size for a split or to move any of the smaller nucs into when they outgrow their quarters. I'm only buying 8 frame boxes now instead of the 10 frame boxes. They are nice for hiving a small to medium sized swarm too. What I call an 8 frame nuc would have a bottom nailed on so it's easy to pick up and move around. My eight frame hives usually have a seperate bottom board. I'm also using this size to try to overwinter some small hives to get mroe queens through the winter. This is also a nice size for a queen bank, although a five frame will work. It's also a nice size, when properly crowded with bees, for a cell starter for queen rearing.

10 frame nuc: Again some would say 10 frames is too big to call a nuc, but Dee Lusby would say anything smaller is too small. [img]smile.gif[/img] I have three foam 10 frame boxes I'm trying to overwinter with just a small cluster of bees in them and to me that is a nuc. Again, these boxes have a bottom nailed on usually. They are handy for retrieving larger swarms and are nice for splits etc.

I suppose you could get by pretty will with 2, 4, 6, 8 and 10 frame sizes, but then the 5 frame ones are already available so the 6 frame seems redundant. So you end up with some in betweens. But 2, 5, 8 and 10 would probably be a good enough assortment.