if i wanted to use treated pine because that is what i have on hand, does it matter if i make my frames out of treated material. Or does it hurt to use the treated material for hive frames?
I would not use treated wood because.
(1) It is not food grade.
(2) Depending on what it is treated with it will probably kill the bees that walk on it.
(3) It will probably give off fumes that will chase the bees out of the hive.
In my opion it is not worth the chance.
just South of Lansing Michigan
Beekeeping sence 1964
A friend of mine put treated wood as bottoms on his mini-nucs for queens.... killed a lot of his bees.... now he has to go and paint them all to try and cover the wood. Depends what preservative is used, but generally pressure treated wood chemicals have Arsenic in it.... Works REAL good as an insecticide... : ))) I wouldn't use any commercial pressure treated wood inside a hive. Maybe for the bottom runners on a bottom board is OK, but not where bees will live on it.
If you use it on the bottom boards you should paint them. most treated wood does contain arscenic.
The only good place, IMO, for treated wood in a hive is where the wood touches the ground on a hive stand. Anywhere else is just wrong. It's poisonous to the bees and even if it wasn't I don't want to eat off of it and a hive is a food container.
CCR stands for chromated copper arsenic. This is the common chemical used in pressure treated wood, but is now being phased out due to it's toxicity. It is an insecticide, toxic to bees. On the other hand, copper napthenate, commonly called copper green, is not toxic to bees. Neither should be used inside the hive, particularly on frames.
The insecticide qualities aside, you will also have problems with the fasteners you use on the frames. Both types of treated wood, but ESPECIALLY the newer, less toxic formula, will corrode your fasteners in short order. Stainless steel is the only recommended fastener material for the new treated wood.