Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Uncapping knife vs. plane

6K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  honeyman46408 
#1 ·
Why would one choose an uncapping plane vs. an uncapping knife? Is there an applicaton where one is better than the other?

#4 ·
The plane is great if you have good even drawn comb. For shallows, you only need one swipe. With mediums, you may need two passes per side. There is a guide that allows you to just use the wooden frame as a guide and it is fast and easy. Much easier than a knife. Only downside is that if the comb is not drawn out the same, you may need to hit it with a knife or a fork. It speeds the process in half for uncapping, if not more.
With the knife I can use the point to hit any low spots, and adjust my depth or angle to adapt to the flow of the comb. It is harder on the wrists though when doing many frames.
I like the plane, have the knife handy, and hate the fork.

#7 ·
Most catalogs or articles show the plane being used incorrectly -- or at least in a poor manner, holding the top bar, balancing the frame and positioning the plane vertically, trying to drag it across the comb surface. Good way to burn your fingers.

It should be used horizontally, i.e. you lay the frame down and draw the plane across it (toward you). The frame can be laid across two 1" wooden strips fixed across the uncapping bin at the appropriate distance apart.

The plane is nice, because it is easier on the wrist (much) and the cappings curl up in the reservoir of the plane body. Tip it over and they fall out nicely.

The only disadvantage I have seen, having used a plane exclusively for many years, is that it doesn't shave the comb clear down to the level of the wood if you space the combs widely in the supers. Works about right for 9 frame spacing. With 8 fr. spacing and a plane you can't get slice the comb down flush like you can with a knife.

#13 ·
OK I ralked to the wife about useing her electric carving knife and got a BAD look and was told to go buy my own
so I just got back from Big Lots they have them for 8 bucks now if I can only find it come extracting time :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.