Thread: vaseline?

I was looking at a site that described a vaseline like substance made out of wax and paraffin. Has anyone ever used this stuff?

>I was looking at a site that described a Vaseline like substance made out of wax and paraffin. Has anyone ever used this stuff?

I've melted and mixed beeswax and paraffin and it's harder than beeswax.

I've melted and mixed beeswax and Vaseline and it makes a nice leather treatment or hoof dressing for a horse.

I've melted beeswax and mixed it with neetsfoot oil. It works on boots too, but isn't any better than the Vaseline version.

Vaseline is just a very thick mineral oil. You can't make it from beeswax.

MB,
    David Cushman suggests 10 gm beeswax to 100 ml liquid parrafin is needed to make thinner petroleum jelly. You increase the amount of beeswax according to how thick you want it. Just experiment with the ratios until you get the desired thickness.
    See his formula at: http://website.lineone.net/~dave.cushman/petjel.html

do you have to make this stuff to put on theinside of your hive? I thought that the bees waxed it all inside. I dont know that is why i am trying to learn all i can before i even finish my hive.

jfischer Guest

> do you have to make this stuff to put on
    > the inside of your hive?

No.

> I thought that the bees waxed it all inside.

They do. They will.

> i am trying to learn all i can before i
    > even finish my hive.

I think you may have read or heard about
    someone who was "paraffin-dipping" his
    woodenware, which coats ALL surfaces,
    and is thought by some to be a better
    preservative than paint. Me, I like paint,
    as a vat of liquid paraffin is a fire just
    waiting to happen, and I have a wooden
    barn.

Dave is talking about mixing liquid Mineral Oil with beeswax to make a kind of vaseline. They call Mineral Oil "Liquid parafin" in England. Parafin to me is a solid used to cover the tops of canned jellys and make candles (when you don't have enough beeswax).

I have not tried it but have done similar things for different reasons. It is a matter of getting the consistency right.

On the link given, Dave was suggesting it for preventing things getting glued together. Back when I used to paint FGMO on the top bars (before I got a fogger) I did notice a lot less burr comb with FGMO on the bars. But I LIKE the boxes glued together. Especially the lids glued on. It helps keep empty boxes from blowing off of the top of the hive.

Ok. I think that to start with, I will let the bees do all the vaseline work. lol I coated my hive on the outside with stain and polyurethane. I figure that the polyurethane will last as long as paint. The top i am going to put fiberglass resin on instead of tin. Is that kool?