Question

Help!
    I've never owned an observation hive so I decided to download the beesource plans for building the 3-frame obs hive. I had a question as to what the 3/4" holes on section B (the 2 sides)were and how they are oriented. Also was wondering what the section "D" 2 bottom rails detail was (how it was oriented) I was wanting to also modify the plans to accomidate perma-comb.Any ideas?I just don't fully understand these two areas and would really appreciate some clarity on this.
    Thank you for your help

>Help!
    I've never owned an observation hive so I decided to download the beesource plans for building the 3-frame obs hive.

I did too, see picture here: http://members.cox.net/bullseyebees/_sgt/m2m1_1.htm

>I had a question as to what the 3/4" holes on section B (the 2 sides)were and how they are oriented.

They are ventilation holes. You will need to put screen on the inside. The two at the very end are at the bottom and are for access to the feeder and exit/entrance hole.

>Also was wondering what the section "D" 2 bottom rails detail was (how it was oriented)

Those are the two cross pieces that the glass rests on at the bottom.

>I was wanting to also modify the plans to accomidate perma-comb.Any ideas?

Again, this is also what I did. The slot for the top medium frame is fine. Measure down from the bottom of the frame rest 5 and 7/8" and make the mark for your top cut, add 1/2" for the bottom frame rest cut. Repeat for the next two frames. This leaves 1/2" between frames, I trim off the 1/8" tabs, you don't NEED to.

Two more items for you to consider.
    Since the frames do not have sidebar spacers, you will need to have a way to keep them centered on the frame rest. I centered the frames and drilled holes on either side, then inserted small nails to keep the frame in place. Drill the holes slightly larger than your spacing nail.

Also, since the bees can not alter the frame, they need to have enough bee space between the glass and the frame to access the cells. Plex tends to concave into the hive, perhaps from the bees attaching wax and propolis to it. At any rate it WILL bow in making areas of the PC unuseable. The fix for this is to make pilot holes and insert dull tip screws through the holes to push against the frames that will keep the plexiglas at the proper space from the frame. This time make the hole a bit smaller than your screw so it will pull your plex. Be sure to drill the hole in the center of the frame where there is a plugged cell for the screw to push against.

>I just don't fully understand these two areas and would really appreciate some clarity on this.
    Thank you for your help

Your welcome.