Thread: question

Can i stain and glass my hive bodies? Instead of them being white. My box joints turned out so pretty, that I don't want to paint it. lol Is that kool or not?

Glass? I've painted them with just Exterior Latex base with no color and they look kind of nice. You could probably use Thompsons Water seal or something similar. I agree the wood is too pretty to cover up.

YEs glass, fiberglass resin. It gets real hard and clear.

I used to do some boat building where fiberglass resin is used on wood all the time.

You can use either polyester resin or epoxy. The polyester is probably cheaper but the epoxy is maybe a bit clearer. For the clearest finish, don't use any fiberglass cloth -- just the resin. Let the boxes sit a few weeks after coating to make sure the resin is fully cured and there are no more vapors coming off. I would make sure I didn't get any on the inside although a small amount probably wouldn't hurt.

If you wanted to put the fiber glass cloth over the wood, it wouldn't affect the visual too much and would make the boxes much stronger.

It should make nice looking hives, but it will cost a lot more than paint.

kOOL I QUESS THAT IT DONT MATTER IF THE HIVE IS WHITE OR NOT. I would much rather stain and glass the outside with poly resin. I use it on the piroques boats that I build now. I have built the 10 frame lang hive that is on this website and all i lack is the frames now. It looks really kool. What is your email and i will send u a pic of it. Mine is katmanu3@bellsouth.net