Thread: Baby Nucs

I have been surprised by the ease with which these baby nucs come together once the system is devised and set in place. One thing I have learned; lumber from different sources, or even from different lots, may be sized differently. I bought 1x8's from two sources and found that I had to match pieces from the same lots to use them. Silly me; I thought the US had standardized its lumber.

After considering the work/vs time issue I bought end bars but cut top bars and bottoms. Once top bars are grooved and cut to length the ends can be cut back and notched perfectly for the end pieces with one setting of the saw. The resulting frames, glued and nailed, look about like those I buy except that they have a solid bottom bar.

I have old comb which I will cut with scissors to fit the frames, then hold it in place with rubber bands until stabilized by the bees.

These boxes will hold three of the small frames plus a frame type feeder cut from a solid block of wood as mentioned by Walter Kelley. Have any of you used such feeders? Do I need to coat the inside with melted parrafin?

Also; I have seen posts describing the use of cork chips in feeders. Anyone know the source of such chips?
    Ox

>plus a frame type feeder cut from a solid block of wood as mentioned by Walter Kelley. Have any of you used such feeders?

I made one for an observation hive.

>Do I need to coat the inside with melted parrafin?

I didn't.

>Also; I have seen posts describing the use of cork chips in feeders. Anyone know the source of such chips?

No, but I just lined the sides with #8 hardware cloth so the bees have a ladder in and out and it worked pretty well.

"Anyone know the source of such chips"

I bought sheets of cork from "Arts and Crafts" type places.
    I'm sure you could cut it up with that pair of scissors.

[This message has been edited by The Honey House (edited October 09, 2004).]

Honey, you done good. I'll start looking at Hobby Lobby.
    Ox

Baby nucs are great for holding queens.

I made six of them, but I made frames that interlock, and make one regular size frame. The bees will draw them out better in a regular colony, and then you break them in half to put into the baby. If you need to get some honey for the baby nuc, simply put it back together and stick it into the regular colony ect. I tried ythe cutting of old comb, and wiring it, but much prefer what I mentioned before. Anyway you look at it, you only need a cupful of bees to support a queen for a while.