Thread: New Frames

Big Grin

So my club got a look at the new Honey Supercell frames this week that have been in the journals as of late. These things are indestructable in my opinion. They don't flex at all like the Pierco 1 piece plastics. Another interesting thing was that they use a 6mm (Drone) cell size. I guess the benefits are easier extracting, as long as the queen doesn't get up there. I haven't heard of anyone using them yet, but they look interesting. Check them out at this site.

I read that it was tested with a Cowen uncapper. Have you heard any thing about it holding up using a Maxant uncapper?

Looks like a robust Pierco frame. I know that the Pierco frames vibrate quite a bit when I run any of them through mine.

Hmmm, can't say I have personally heard anything about the uncappers. If anybody knows how much these things cost though let us know.

>Another interesting thing was that they use a 6mm (Drone) cell size. I guess the benefits are easier extracting, as long as the queen doesn't get up there.

I have used drone cells in supers before and they do extract easily. But if you leave out the excluder the queen sure does like to lay in them. But drone foundation and drone cells are more like 6.6mm for enlarged bees. 7/11 is 5.9mm which is a size the queen doesn't like to lay in, but if she does she lays drones. I've used it in supers for decades without an excluder. These are closer to 7/11 than drone foundation. I'm guessing the queen won't find that that attractive to lay in.

Looks like the end bars are wider than wooden ones,so special frame guides would have to be made to hold them in the Maxant uncapper.I had to do this for my wide end bar Manley type frames,not to mention the headache of keeping the supers sorted to keep from having to change the frame holders back and forth to uncap standard frames(a problem to be avoided if possible).
    >>I know that the Pierco frames vibrate quite a bit when I run any of them through mine.

I just had 150 deeps of Pierco drawn out.I am having to uncap these by hand as the plastic frames flex when they hit the chains,totally sucking the comb off the foundation EVERY time.I am uncapping new wood and wax combs without this problem.My question is:Will the deep Pierco combs toughen up enough after a couple of seasons enough to go through the Maxant?I am thinking at this point of just using them as brood combs.

"I am having to uncap these by hand as the plastic frames flex when they hit the chains,totally sucking the comb off the foundation EVERY time."

Oh yea! Isn't that a lovely thing!!
    I know exactly what you mean.
    One thing I tried, (As I still have a few frames kicking around and some one is always showing up with a box full of them) is to shut the motor off after the frame is lowered.
    I think that it's when the frame is being lifted up is when it get torn up. Try a few.
    I know it's a pain to keeping shutting the motor off but it does save the frame.

Thanks,I'll give it a try.It is definitely worse on the upstroke .

http://www.honeysupercell.com/index2.html

<<and soon full-size, fully drawn, 9 1/8" standard frames. >>

Competition for Permacomb?

My guess is there would be a market for deeps. There would also be a market for fully drawn small cell in deeps and mediums.

>I know it's a pain to keeping shutting the motor off but it does save the frame.

OK Honeyhouse it worked .I just finished the Piercos .It was a bit messy but it did save all those beautiful new combs.Thanks for the tip.