Question

Bullseye Bill just mentioned the Hackler Honey Punch. http://www.plastools.com/honey_punch.htm
    has anyone used this device? What did you think of it?

WayaCoyote

>has anyone used this device?

I guess you mean anyone BESIDES me, darn.

I just got one. I haven't used it yet.

>I just got one. I haven't used it yet.

What size did you get?

The four inch works great for medium W/W and Pierco/wax, but for PC I recomend the two inch.

I have no need to use the hot water bath to keep it warm with PC.

To tell the truth, I bought it used and didn't pay that much attention to it, but I'm thinking its the 5 1/8" one, but it might be the 4 1/4" If I get time I'll dig it out.

Howdy All --

I bought the 4" and used it last season and
    again this season. It is a help, but I would prefer the 2". On many low spots, the
    punch must be tilted to use only the end
    section.

Doc

I used 4" (I think)this season and it seems to work well. I use a crock pot with water to dunk the punch once in a while. I make several passes and spin the frames a little faster than I normally would to remove honey. I can use the faster spinning speed with perma-comb frames. I don't think I'll use the knife again.

cadetman Guest

What are the advantages?? Speed??

After you dunk the punch in water, are you able to dry it well? Otherwise, don't you worry about water contamination of the honey?

I bought the 2 inch recently and used it yesterday to help extract two supers. For my standard frames, I uncapped using a knife, and used the punch in the low spots. For my permacomb frames, I used the punch exclusively for the frames that weren't drawn out past the plastic. The punch is the only viable tool for this situation.

The two reasons I got it is I have PermaComb and I don't like that burned taste from a hot knife.

Bill and all,
    (sorry I excluded you bill, I wanted your comments

I suppose that there is less wax "harvested" with this; is that true? that, I would see as a "con". But speed would be a "pro". what do others think, see?

WayaCoyote

Well, since you asked...
    When using the punch on wax, either wood or Pierco, eventully the spurs get honey inbetween them and they get sticky and slow to turn, hence the need to dip the punch into hot water. The warm water disolves the honey and then you roll it over a towel to quickly dry it and then roll over the frame. If you don't do it, eventully the spurs drag and you smear the caps off into a pile, tearing the comb.

When I extract PermaComb, I use a plastic pie knife to remove the pertruding cells and caps, then use the punch (when needed) to puncture the even and sub-capped cells. The plastic keeps the spurs turning even when it is all sticky and there is no need to warm the punch. I get a lot of capping wax off my PC.