Today I took a tomato can and made the inner chamber for my smoker, A La Michael Bush's adaptation of the Rauch Boy.

After using the smoker for an hour or so I am convinced that if thr idea is not already patented all smokers will be made that way in a few years.

It is so nice to put the smoker down for a few minutes and find it ready to go again when you pick it up.

I cannot buy corks around here, so I have a carved wooden plug to choke off the smoker when not in use. Tomorrow I will see how much fuel is left. The smoker seems to go on idle when you are not pumping it, so I expect fuel consumption is not bad.
    Ox

I had been thinking of this same design everytime I have to light or dump my smoker even before I saw Michael's design. We must think a like... I take that as a compliment.

Anyway, for a plug, I shove a stick in the hole. Doing so leaves me with some charred and dried stuff for lighting next time.

WayaCoyote

I usually find a nice stick that just fits and break it off short enough to be handy. Then I lose the stick. But a bundle of green grass works well too. Just tear off a bit of grass and fold it over a few times until it's about the right size and stuff it in the hole. Of course, I keep meaning to buy a cork. But actually, just laying it on it's side will almost always work unless the wind is really howling.

Smile

You fellas obviously dont drink wine (or drink cheap screw on cap types!) or you would have a good supply of corks!

Lol, Mike;
    On our honeymoon, in the bridal suite at bedtime I uncorked a bottle of champagne. The cork flew out, hit the ceiling and was never seen again. Being thrifty, we drank the whole bottle rather than see it go flat. Predictable results; I have had no use for Champagne since.

A report; I have now used my Rauch-boy knockoff three times, the last two times only l5 minutes or so each. The original roll of burlap in the inner can has burned about a inch. It appears to me that the sucker is not only a better performer, but more economical on fuel as well. When done I plug the smoker, the fire goes out and my fuel is there for next time.
    Ox

Just read this interesting post- So, does the inner can just sit inside the smoker and move around freely? Are there holes in the bottom / sides of the can and the smoker or just the can? This sounds like tha answer to a major gripe I've been having re: keeping that thing lit so I can take my time w/ the bees.

Thanks for the info!

Michael will tell ya, but go to this link and look at his pictures of it.
    http://incolor.inetnebr.com/bush/bush_bees.htm

You'll see that tabs are cut towards the top that open up to kind of hold it in the center of the smoker.

Pugs

jfischer Guest

Another common way to snuff a smoker is to
    open the top, and lay a sheet or two of
    newspaper across the opening, closing the top
    to hold them in place.

Sounds counter-intuitive, and it clearly
    would never work in a smoker with a full
    chamber and/or active flames, but some
    people swear by them.

I like corks. When we eat at my favorite
    Indian place, they hand me a large zip-lock