Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

BEE BEINGS ATTACED BY SWALLOWS

3K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  BULLSEYE BILL 
#1 ·
I need to know how to protect my beew being attaced by swallows during the months of july and august without harming the swallows of coarse.

[This message has been edited by GREGORY (edited September 10, 2004).]

#3 ·
Dear Michael,
If a professional beekeeper had over 200 swallows over his beehives eating bees and queens during those 2 crucial months he would certainly worry. An amateur beekeeper houever, wouldn't be able to realise the seriousness of the problem. So I don't see the point of your answer.
Thank you.

#8 ·
I have a similar problem with swollows. I found a plastic owl and mounted it on one hive top and now the swollows avoid being near the hives. Also a plastic hawk might do the same.
Clint

------------------
Clinton Bemrose
just South of Lansing Michigan

#9 ·
The swallows might actually be diving on the hives for the mosquitoes and not trying to attack the bees. Since the hives produce the same conditions that are known to attract mosquitoes (namely heat, moisture and CO2) they may act as natural mosquitoes attractors.

What would it take to verify this conjecture? Can you get close enough to see exactly what the swallows are eating without scaring them away?

#10 ·
hi!

I was worried about this too. But it has not been a problem for me. I had an 8 gourd purple martin colony (all full of parents and babies) and over 2 dozen barn swallows and a pair of tree swallows on my place this summer and no problems.

Somebody posted that the bees were chasing a swallow earlier.

Now the swallows have left for South America for the year. I would think they get their experience down there with the africanized versions and would have enough smarts up here to let them alone...

But I will ask them next spring when they return... ;)

Cheers!

david

#11 ·
I definately got it. I am certain of Michael's sincerity when responding...

Never the less, yes, any type of "scarecrow" should work, albeit only temperarily until the birds figure it out. I would suggest a variety of scarecrows, from pie pans to fake owls, and to rotate these before the birds can figure them out.

WayaCoyote

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.