Thread: Brood frames

Quick question...

How do you guys strengthen/reinforce your all wax brood frames? I was wondering about only using pins and no wire. I won't ever extract these frames.

In mediums whether I use foundation or not, I don't use anything and I often extract them. In deeps I use pins and a wire "X" when I use foundation. On foundationless Dadant Deeps I've used a 1/16" welding rod horizontally in the center.

*sigh*...once again I'm thinking I should go all mediums.....

You don't think 4 pins on each side would keep pure wax foundation stable?

I just LOATHE wiring frames together, and the bees seem to mess up the small cell foundation right around the wires...causing me to cull more frames

[This message has been edited by Branman (edited September 03, 2004).]

>*sigh*...once again I'm thinking I should go all mediums.....

Of course you should.

>You don't think 4 pins on each side would keep pure wax foundation stable?

In deeps? On a hot day? Absolutely not. If the bees jump right on it and draw it? Maybe.

>I just LOATHE wiring frames together, and the bees seem to mess up the small cell foundation right around the wires...causing me to cull more frames

How about pressure embedding a 1/16" welding rod in the center? I did the "X" on my deeps with one wire on one side and one on the other and pins on both sides. I didn't embedd.
    http://www.beesource.com/eob/althive/bush/bush5.htm

Or just starter strips.
    http://www.beesource.com/eob/althive/bush/bush4.htm

I use plastic foundation now, but I have used bobby pins (ladies hair pin) to hold the wax wired foundation. The bobby pins are longer and I think they provide a little better support than the store bought pins. If useing wax wired foundation, the pins were enough to hold the foundation in place provided that the foundation was drawn within a couple of weeks of installation. Wax wired foundation will tend to eventually bow if not "wired in". I would not count on any type of pin provideing adequate support for pure wax foundation.