Big Grin

Has anyone read the old “The ABC of Bee Culture” or “Langstroth on the Hive & Honey Bee” from the 1800’s? Well I bought them last month on Ebay and have found them interesting and enjoyable to read.

One of the more interesting things is that A. I. Root goes into quite a bit of detail, including engravings, about how they made their own equipment. When you read this section you also lean they used wood ash lye for everything.

He also talks about purchasing his first queen in 1865 for $20! I guess there must have been inflation because of the Civil War. He mentions later in the book that they sell a mandrel for building your own table saw for $5 but recommends the heaver one for $7.50.

It is interesting to read because there are subtle sales pitches scattered through out. Hey, that is just like “Beekeeping for Dummies”. Things never change!

You can always buy it on Ebay and read it then sell it again! Unfortunately, you may have a hard time letting it go.

I bought a new reprint of L.L. Langstroths Hive and the honey Bee from Amazon.com. I also have an 1860 version of it.

I also have a 1980, 1945 and an 1877 version of ABC XYZ. I love the old ones.

I also have, and love, Jay Smiths Queen Rearing Simplified and Better Queens and Huber's Observations on the Natural History of Bees.

The old books get into alot more detail. I think part of it is that they did not have true photos to show you. They give better accounts of how you can make your own boxes as well and again I think this has to do with the way thing were back then. Nearly everything used on the farm was made on the farm.

The E.F. Phillips beekeeping collection has the 1879 edition of ABC and the 1853 edition of Hive and the Honeybee on-line for free viewing.

Good Link!