First year beekeeper here. I had my first experience with an aggressive hive last night. What I learned - there is no way that I am going to get honey out of there (or requeen) without a bee suit. I normally work in t-shirt and shorts, and I hadn't been stung until last night.

My question - can anyone recommend an affordable but decent bee suit? I'm hoping to keep the expense down to $100 or so, but I'm willing to go higher if that price range buys me junk.

A good jacket with a zip on viel works pretty well for most purposes and they are cheaper and easier to get on and off.

The big manufacturers usually have some good prices. Mann Lake, Walter T. Kelly, Brushy Mt. Check them and compare including shipping.

Hi, If I had to get a bee suit I would hunt for a white cover-all type of thing that zips up completely. I have one from a clean-room construction project and it works fine. I also use knee-high rubber boots with the pant legs over them. The rest is veil and gloves and things are working quite well. Just look around for a complete white suit.
    Take care and have fun......

I have a pair of NAVY BLUE cover alls(had them for crawling under floors doing plumbing which I can never do again). which have suited me fine. I did rubber band around the ankles with work boots. My veil needs help. I want one that has a built in hat. I also want one of the jacket as I am told they are cooler than a full suit. I have not had a problem with bees string thru my jeans(well one and in got me on the back side while I was squatted down(pants pulled tight).

I think the best suit comes from W.T. Kelley. It costs $53.00. 100% heavy weight twill cotton with attached brass zippered veil (square or round). No openings and has zippered legs. You can use velcro straps on the bottom of the pants and you will need a separate helmet.

Well I’m cheap. I use a pair of light colored kaki pants from Target. These are my old work pants. I also bought a white 100% cotton shirt one size larger then needed from the thrift store. I wear the shirt over a short sleeve one. I wear white shoes and white socks. I only had bees crawl up my leg twice. Last week when I wore black socks and when I opened a hive at night. Won’t do that again! So my bee suite not counting gloves and veil cost $3.

I do get the occasional sting on the stomach. I am thinking of putting a Velcro strip or zipper to replace the buttons. Hey, that cost money!

I did call Golden Bee Products this morning inquiring about their suite. Spoke to Mr. Lemoine and told him I used to drive past his house everyday when his son Bryan lived there. Also told him I met him ten years ago at his daughter’s camp on the bayou. Not one single reply. Well I went on to tell him I moved to Tulsa and was a member of a beekeeping club and asked if there was a group discount. Before I could finish he said “no group discounts”. I said “OK” but I was having trouble explaining to club members why their suites were unique and if they could send a 3 by 3 inch sample so I could show it to the club. (Oklahoma has really hot summers.) He said “The suit has been on the market for 15 years” and “we don’t send sample patches”. Those are the only three phrases I got from him. In no way did he try to sell me or offer suggestions to what I might tell the beekeeping club. Needless to say he won’t be selling any suits in Tulsa.

I had trouble comunicating with him too. I think he is a bit deaf, (and really old). His wife on the other hand is very nice and helpful.

Wether you get a swath of cloth or not know this; I rarely ever use smoke even when I do cutouts, and the most vicious cloud of bees have never penetrated that material. Up the pant legs a few times, but never through the cloth.

I have a retail store and I get tired of all the people that want to try to jew me down. Maybe they go into the grociers and try to dicker on the prices, I don't know. I am sure that if I was a lot older and a cantankerious old fart, I'd just tell them to go **** up a rope, I get tired of it. I put out a product at a minimum markup, either it is acceptable or it isn't. If you don't like it, get in your Lexus and go barter with a pawn shop. For some reason they seem to think that I do not deserve a fair deal or a chance to make a living as long as they get it for less than the other guy. It is very hard to remain civil to someone who I percieve to be trying to take food off my table.

Point here is that he has probably heard just about everything, doesn't need the money, and the product will sell itself without his having to go out of his way. I don't know him, and I may be way off base, but I do know cranky old men and how they got that way. God forbid, I might turn into one of them if I don't get away from dealing with the public.

[This message has been edited by BULLSEYE BILL (edited August 26, 2004).]

magnet,

I've met with the gentleman at Golden Bee a number of times over the last couple of years, and Bullseye is on the mark. He's a friendly guy, but on the deaf side. Hard to talk to him on the phone. Their product sells itself.

------------------
    Rob Koss

The Golden Bee Products suit is the best beekeeping thing I've ever bought. I wish I'd had it 30 years ago. I only spoke to his wife and she was very nice and very helpful. It was WELL worth the money and if I had to put up with a cantakerous old man to get one I would gladly do it.