Has anybody come up with a cheap DIY electric evaporator?
    I've seen a lot of support for the electric evaporators and I'm hoping there is a simple, cheap way to put one together. Is there anybody out there who works with small heating elements and knows what is available? Where would I start to look for such a thing? How about a small 12v heating element that could be hooked to either a battery or battery charger? It would need to be small enough to fit through the entrance of the hive and large enough to heat an appropriate amount of acid to 320+F. It would need to be easily assembled by somebody with no special expertise in electrical projects. It would also have to be assembled for well under the price of the ones that are already available.
    I assume it is my technique that is the problem but I've had spotty results from the original Topbarguy evaporator. Sometimes the acid comes out in a nearly perfect fog and sometimes it comes out in small globs. I've tried varying where I apply the heat and at what time in the process, and can't seem to find the perfect combination.
    George

Keep working on your idea and let us know what you come up with.

Thanks for the encouragement, Mike, but I'm still looking for a starting point. Where would somebody find the heating element?
    George

Guess I would start with a google search for 12v heating elements.But at 65 bucks for the ready to go model,it probably wouldnt be worth the time for me to try to make a homemade one. I thought they were charging more...But if time isnt a problem,I am sure an innovative guy (like yourself) could come up with something that works.

Greetings . . .

Re: "Electric" heating elements

First thing that comes to mind, are the "coiled" wire type used to burn holes in car seats or over-heat an old, stale cup of coffee. Last one I tossed out my truck window, was purchased at a truck-stop. It operated on 12 volt (car) battery, a more dangerous (probably best) type, that looks the same, works the same, but plug into 110v house current, works wonders on brand new laminate desk top. Burn mark has been there for almost 20 years.

Hope this helps, or at least is "food for thought".

------------------
    Dave W . . .

Hobbyist - 1 Hive
    First Package - Apr 03
    Broodnest - 3 Deeps
    Screened Bottom Board
    Apistan - Aug 18, 03
    Grease Patties - All year
    2003/04 Winter Loss - 0%
    See Forum1/HTML/001304, for ongoing mite counts.

Hi Guys,

Before experimenting with my propane torch evaporators, I thought the electric models would be the best bet. One had been available in Canada, but they had ceased producing it. The only other option was the European model which was a bit pricey for experimenting.

So I decided to build my own. The appropriate cartridge heater, similar to the ones used in Maxants uncapping plane, can be obtained from Graingers. An aluminum block could be machined to contain the oxalic and a hole tapped to allow the cartridge heater to be screwed in.

With a little experimenting a good combination could be cheaply built. Cartridge heaters can easily burn out if not properly matched for the conditions. So it might take a few tests to get the proper match.

But the Canadians are again producing the electric model. If I recall correctly, it'
    s about $65. That's a pretty good deal if you have lots of hives to treat. But the cost, including the cost of a battery, is pretty expensive for just a few hives when compared to the propane version.

I never got the electric model built. I don't have a metal lathe and it costs about $50 just to talk to a machinist :> ). So the Canadian model is pretty reasonable.

Regards
    Dennis

[This message has been edited by topbarguy (edited August 19, 2004).]