Thread: Hive Tools

I have been very disappointed of late by the flexible nature of hive tools. I have sampled all of the best known equipment suppliers. They all bend easily both direcvtions. I asked them to test them in a vise before sending them. Some do some don't
    After a full day of pulling honey the tool is shot. If you know of a truely stout standard hive tool please let me know. Please identify this problem to your supplier and insist they improve. A hive tool is our sixth finger and a broken one of either is of little use!

Hi Jay,

Sorry, no help with new hive tools. I only have the 2 that I have had for about 15 years. Not worth buying the ones that are made nowadays!

------------------
    Gregg Stewart

I havent bought any in years.Every now and then I find one I left in a yard,so still have them.But thanks for the heads up .I suppose they are being made in China like everything else,that would account for them being junk.You cant bend the old ones.

I haven't bought a plain hive tool in 30 years. But I've never bent or broken one. But I have bought the Maxant ones in the last few years and they worked fine. I also have the Italian hive tool that I bought as recently as a few weeks ago, from Brushy Mt and I've never bent it. It's hard for me to imagine, actually. What are you doing with them that you bend them?

You could just go to the hardware store and buy a Stanley flat bar. I've jumped up and down on them and never broke or bent one.

Thanks for the comments! I also believe it is steel purchased from China which is not properly tempered. Saving a Dollar, Anger a Customer.
    My hope through this medium is to have the purveyors of this junk realize they are losing loyal customers because price not quality is their #1 priority, "The Walmart Way!"

We need a few good things: good smokers, hive tools, veils, and gloves. Oh and a good crop and for the Varroa mite to go away. That's all!

Wink

Just a little off the subject; loved the comment 'The Walmart Way' To true, lets take the KIA And HYUNDIA auto the KIA is over 96% forene
    made and the other contains over 95% korean parts and only 3% American made. I say we Boycott the imports until they can maintain at least 75% U.S manufactored parts. And the dealers that sell them. Demand U.S goods when ever possiable.

I use the Maxant hive tool. It runs around the 10-15$CND mark, and worth every penny. I have been using it to pry for years,and will never go back to the old cheap prybar hive tool. It has a hook leaver type of arrangement to help lift frames, and a good blade infrount for scraping and prying.
    I recomend you try it out, you will like it.
    Ian

I lost my hive bar so in a pinch I ground the cheap china made flat bar I had to give a sharper point.I have now took the smaller one and sharpened it. I carry this smaller one(I think it is 5 inches)as my spare hive tool now that I found my bar. China can make very good steel. My dad has a fleamarket booth and sells knifes. other than the old german knifes the best knifes he has are made in china. They are just as good if not better than Case brand knives for a small fraction of the price. The knife I carry is a China made knife which cost 3 dollars wholesale. Alot better if you lose it than paying 40 wholesale for a Case. But back to the hive tool. I think I will buy these cheap flat bars from the wholesale house(pack of 3 for $2) and modify them. I have bend my hive tool seperating boxes. Yet it was the cheapest Mannlake offers that they put in their beginner kit.

Part of the problem is that Chinese products are now where Japanese products where in the 1960's. The quality varies so much and the poor quality stuff is so bad that the good quality products go unnoticed. I'd have to admit SOME Chinese steel is pretty fair. Some is horrible. I haven't seen any that is excellent. But the Chinese quality keeps improving. Maybe they will eventually figure it out. The Japanese did.

Of course, if we were smart, we'd support our own economy.

Buy a Wonderbar at the hardware store, or a Maxant stainless.