Thread: Two Questions

Is it late enough in the season for any conclusions on both bee-o-pac and perma comb?

PermaComb
    I wax coat mine for the purpose of geting small cell. But I love it.

Bee-O-Pac
    My strongest hive, which of course is the one I put them on, got wiped out by pestcides. The first box of them looked like they were going well when that happened, but I can't say I have a clear opinion yet.

I tried permacomb this year. 2 things
    I didn't like about the permacomb.
    1st. The bees prefer wax combs over the
    plastic. If you want to use permacomb use all permacomb, don't mix wax supers with permacomb. In other words don't give them
    an option.
    2nd. Permacomb frames are about 1/2" too short and the bees have to build ladder
    comb to work the supers.
    Duane.

i am in the process of trying to get the girls to use the bee-o-pac (BOP), no such luck yet

i bated, on top, with a deep super hoping they would fill the BOP's first - they skipped right on by and are filling the super instead, oh well live and learn

im going to pull the BOP from the hive at my dads yard and put on the hive at my house which is currently the strongest - i've already pulled honey from this one and a couple others at my house and none from my other 2 yards.

if they fill it here at my house it'll be goldenrod and i was hoping for basswood, goldenrod crystalizes too fast.

Do you think a hive that will not use the bee-o-pac would use Ross rounds better?

>Is it late enough in the season for any conclusions on both bee-o-pac and perma comb?

I pulled my bop's a couple of weeks ago, untouched. The strong/crowded hives I selected both swarmed ad: Oh well, maybe next year.

I run almost exclusivly PC and have excellent relults with it. I agree with dburgess in theory but...
    This weekend I worked a nuc which was a cut out, it really needed to be moved into a full size double medium as I had the nuc's stacked four high. The three upper boxes of PC were completely packed. The lower box which consisted of three frames of their origional cut out comb was completely empty, and the two frames of 4.9 were cross connected with seven rows of honey. Go figure.

>im going to pull the BOP from the hive at my dads yard and put on the hive at my house which is currently the strongest

Dee, everything I have read says that bees will not build comb without a strong flow. Since the best portion of the flow is over, that is why I pulled mine off and am saving them for next year.

>>>>Dee, everything I have read says that bees will not build comb without a strong flow. Since the best portion of the flow is over, that is why I pulled mine off and am saving them for next year.

actually im in a major honey flow right now - goldenrod, if they dont work it by mid september i'll pull it