Thread: wax melter

we are starting to look for a wax melter that will seperate the honey and maybe clean the wax what do you guys sugjest? our uncapper puts a lot more ax out than we use to have with the knife thanks Nick

How large a quantity are you talking about Nick? About how many supers are you going to be uncapping at a time? Will a simple solar wax melter work for you or are you going to need a mass production melter? The answer would be subjective.

------------------
    Phoenix
    http://beeholder.blogspot.com/

we could probably get by with a wax melter but we hope to get up to 40 hives next year and continue to expand so wea re starting to look for a wax melter

Hey Nick,
    What about a cappings melter from Kelley's? Cat #198

I have done all of my wax melting for 30 plus hives with a solar melter for thirty years. Sometimes ten five gallon buckets a year. No problem. No electricity. No fires. Since it is rarely real hot here, I leave the contents of a bucket in for a few days to complete. If it all goes thru on a real hot day, I get very un-cooked honey. If it sits for a couple of days, I get caramel.

well we were kinda looking at the kelly wax melter or the better way wax melter we thought that the better way would be nice cause then we could heat a couple of five gallen pails in it to un cristalize or to strain any one ever tryid one?

A little late, but...the Kelley melter is the way to go, IMHO. With 40 hives one seperator is enough. There are very few beekeeping tools that have stood the test of 40+ years, but this is one. I have seen used ones sell for 70% of the cost of a new one, which means that the person sold it for more than the original cost!

Produces very light wax with very little debris on the bottom, and the honey is fit for regular consumption/sale...not only bakery grade.

All that said, this is a tool for melting cappings, burr comb, etc. If you want something for melting old combs, use a solar melter and then put the good results (not the scum) in the Kelley melter for further refining.

------------------
    Lloyd Spear, Owner of Ross Rounds, Inc. Manufacturers of round section comb equipment, Sundance Pollen Traps, and full color custom Honey labels

Question

Many of you have mention Kelly for a wax melter. I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with the Honey processing unit built by Kelly. The product # is 336. This is supposed to be a all in one unit and is mounted on a frame. I like the idea of being able to move it. I also like the idea of it being a complete unit.
    Does anyone know if there is a better unit on the market. Pros & Cons? Thanks for any input.