Thread: 8 frame hives

Does anyone use 8 frame hives and what do you think of them?

hi
    I have been useing 8 frame hives for 30 yrs and find them easy to handle and make more honey and build up faster.
    now I hope your talking about and commercial box that is 13 and 3/4 inches and not the 10 frame box with just 8 frames in it. hope this helps if you want to e mail me
    Don

I was looking at the 8 frame medium super hives sold by Brushy Mountain. They claim that it is the only hive they now use. Does it make any differance other than the cost of extra boxs to get the same comb area?

Big Grin

Hi
    it don't make any difference just the cost and that there lighter to lift.
    hope you have a good yr.
    Don

With 8 frame equipment will carniolians winter over with 2 deeps.......I want to run all deeps for everything and maybe 8 frame is the way to go.........and what is the width (Outside using 3/4 inch lumber)seems like it would more mimic the natural tree.......My goal is to be a commercial beekeeper but would it work with 8 frame equipment.

------------------
    You have to stop and smell the roses......but please watch out for my bees.

I have a lot of 8 frame equipment and that's all I'm buying now, but I still have more 10 frame equipment and have no intent of retiring it. All my boxes are mediums.

All medium 8 frame boxes are very nice to manage compared to all 10 frame mediums or (worse) all 10 frame deeps.

An 8 frame medium box full of honey weighs about 48 pounds. But the nice thing is that last 12 pounds you got rid of the the last two frames the furthest from your body. So the leverage for those frames pulls on your back more than the others. So it's actually easier to handle than it's weight would indicate.

The are more expensive in general, all though Wester Bee Supply says they will make 8 frame boxes for you if you special order them. Only Brushy Mt. has them in their catalog. Some things aren't available in 8 frame, such as bound queen excluders and slatted racks. But Brushy Mt. makes almost everything you would want from hive top feeders to Screened bottom boards for them.

Some of my most productive hives have been in 8 frame hives but they get REALLY tall when they do that well. I have mine on a four by four for a stand so it starts 3 1/2" from the dirt and I sometimes have to stand on a concrete block to put the top super on.

Another option is to use 10 frame boxes for the brood chamber and eight frame boxes for the supers with a board on the side to cover the gap. This is what Killion used as a standard setup. 10 frame deeps for brood with 8 frame beeway comb honey supers on top and a board on the gap.

MB could I ask a favor of you? I would like the inside measurement of an 8 frame box. I am thinking of going to an even smaller box in that going from mediums to 8 frame mediums. Maybe a board like you descibe for the supers.

The standard ones from Brushy Mt. are 14 3/4" wide outside, so I suppose they are 13 1/4" inside. Frankly I think they could have made them 13 1/2" outside and done just fine. There is an excess of about 1 1/4" (5/8" extra on each side) on the outsides of the frames. You could easily make a follower board and put on one end or even both and still squeeze in 8 frames. You can ALMOST fit 9 frames in. But for supers, you can space them out to 7 frames with drawn comb for nice, fat, easy to uncap honey.