What do you guys do to the Miller
feeders to keep them from leaking??
Epoxy paint made for re-doing sinks and tubs.
I use clear caulk for bathtubs / aquariums. It works great. I let it cure completely before filling. I test them out with water before putting on the hives.
I use a canning jar with holes punched in it (6) and put that on top of the hole of the inner cover. Then put a supper over that, and then the top.
I know you guys don't care. But that's how I do my feeding.
Also I read that you can take a gallon zip lock bag fill that up with syrup and put a slice in it (1-2 inches). Face the slice side up and place the baggie on top of the frames. Suppose to work realy well.
PS Just had to put my $0.02 in!
I use a pistol grip soldering iron to melt beeswax. Works great for me.
I use some parrafin wax and a heat gun "sweat" the nots and the corners.Dip it in the kids pool to check and your all good after that!
Dont insert the bottom into a groove as shown on the plans on this site. In doing so, there is no way to apply pressure to the glue as it dries.
Cut side so that the bottom can be laid into a full-width bed of glue and clamp thightly (Should have some squeeze-out).
Bet it wont leak! Mine doesnt.
Dave W . . .
Hobbyist - 1 Hive
First Package - Apr 03
Broodnest - 3 Deeps
Screened Bottom Board
Apistan - Aug 18, 03
Grease Patties - All year
2003/04 Winter Loss - 0%
See Forum 3, 001304, for ongoing mite counts.
I used your idea Dave W., just a notch on the bottom with the bottom plywood face nailed gives a tighter fit. I would also recommend using Gorilla glue for these feeders. Gorilla glue is expensive, a small bottle cost $12.00 at the local lumber company, but it foams when it dries and helps fill the joints on miller feeders.
There were a few other changes I made also. I moved the feeding area to one end instead of the middle because I slope my hives a little and there was feed the bees could not reach. I also made the second baffle out of aluminum screen. This makes it easier to waterproof the feeder, as areas behind the wood baffle were too hard to reach. Bend the aluminum in an "L" shape and staple it to the top and sides. A third change to keep out ants was to install foam weather-stripping around the top and put screen over the opening in the top board. My hives are around trees, and the first time I used a Miller feeder it took the black ants about 20 min to find it. It won't keep out every ant but it does keep out the ones that can't get through the screen and the large black ants are my biggest problem.