Is there any source for the Merrill toolbox other than Brushy Mountain? After fruitless attempts to purchase it through their website (database errors and other programming problems) and leaving messages, I finally got through to someone today, who informed me that the toolbox was 30 lbs and to ship it to me would cost $25.

My overall impression is this is not an organization I want to be doing business with, and if I can the toolbox someplace else I will, and if not, I've gotten by without it this long.

Thanks,
    Roger

>Is there any source for the Merrill toolbox other than Brushy Mountain? After fruitless attempts to purchase it through their website (database errors and other programming problems)

I've never had problems ordering from them online. Must be a recent glitch.

>and leaving messages, I finally got through to someone today, who informed me that the toolbox was 30 lbs and to ship it to me would cost $25.

It is heavy. I don't know what the shipping on it is, but I have three of them.

>My overall impression is this is not an organization I want to be doing business with,

I've always had very good luck with them. I think you've had a run of bad luck.

>and if I can the toolbox someplace else I will, and if not, I've gotten by without it this long.

You can make your own and probably keep the weight down more. 1/4" laun plywood is light in weight and still strong enough. Some 3/4" x 3/4" wood in the corners to nail to and you've got a nice box. Could even make it a bit taller so it makes a better stool and skip racks for things you don't use.

But I have enough other things to build so I just bought my third one from Brushy Mt and got it yesterday. One at each yard and one in my van for swarms etc.

[This message has been edited by Michael Bush (edited June 30, 2004).]

>I've always had very good luck with them. I think you've had a run of bad luck.

Possibly. Like you, I have plenty of things to build, so perhaps I should reconsider. They definitely need a new web developer, though. Phone in orders are the only option at this point.

Roger

my two cents...I've met them both twice, and they're the nicest people I've ever had the pleasure of doing business with. I've ordered quite alot of equipment from them and never had any problems whatsoever. I agree with MB, it's probably an unfortunate coincidence.

jfischer Guest

I'll echo that Steve and Sandy Forest are
    the best and brightest in the US bee supply
    biz. I know and deal with 100% of them, as
    nearly everyone buys Bee-Quick, and I made
    it my business to get to know them.

If the toolbox is too heavy to ship at
    low cost, perhaps it is too heavy to
    lug around to your beehives.

I tend to keep hive tool, brush, and other
    required items in pockets, and carry my
    smoker in one hand. I'm really not sure
    why anyone has those toolboxes, other than
    as a replacement for a shelf or a drawer
    when the items are not in use.

Of course, I tend to bring a Volvo-load of
    supers, bottom boards, covers, pollen traps,
    and what-have-you, so nothing is more than
    a few steps away.

What I lug it around for is a seat. It makes a nice stool while working the brood chamber of a hive, AND it has all your tools handy AND you can dump the tools out and hive a swarm in it if you want. With frames even, if you want.

Of course you can turn a super on edge and sit on it which is about right for working the second brood chamber, but a bit tall for the bottom one.

I have to agree with Rogerio that their website needs work. Its always a struggle to navigate and frankly I quite often choose another vendor because its so hard to navigate. I much perfer Dadant's or Mann Lake's websites. Brushy's website needs a major overhaul.

Perhaps those who have personal contact with Steve and Sandy could whisper this concern to them.

I order most all of my equipment from Brushy. They have always been courteous and prompt. There quality is also outstanding. Website - well its not great. I usually work out of the catalog and call in my order. I have never had to leave a message.

I agree with everyone else...seems like an odd and isolated event.