Question

Hello! My name is Melisa and I've been reading and learning a lot off of these boards from everyone. Thanks for the great site. I'm planning on purchasing SBBs with trays and replacing my current bottoms. I've look in catalogs and online and I'm looking for advise/recommendation on where to purchase them. Thanks in advance!

Make your own. Cut the bottom out of your bottom board, leaving ~3.5 inch landing board infront. Use #8 hardware cloth. I prefer making mine but the conversion is just as easy if you have a jig saw or drimmel. Just staple it in.

New article about cluster warmth in the ABJ.

Mark

Just wanted to say what wonderfully fast service we just received on a beekeeping jacket. I wanted this for a Father's Day gift for my husband and they rushed it right out to arrive in time. Great product, great service. Keep it up. Thanks!! Peggy

I've made some and I've bought some from Brushy Mt. I haven't bought the others, so I have no first hand experience with them. Make sure you include shipping in price comparisons and I would get one that ends up open with the tray out or closed with it in so you can monitor the mite levels and so you can control the ventilation. Brushy Mt.s SBB do all of this, and, I'm sure, some others will as well. If you're in TN I'd check out Walter T. Kelly. The shipping shouldn't be too bad, but neither should Brushy Mt.

Angry

Thanks Mark, Peggy and Michael! Your help is appreciated. Everyone have a great week.

[This message has been edited by bezwaks (edited June 21, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by bezwaks (edited June 21, 2004).]

Smile

Just a note on building SBB's. I build mine with 5 inch landings instead of the 3.5's. I always have liked big porches. lol

Smile

Sorry about the previous icon. Not sure exactly what I did! GA-Bee thanks for the heads-up on the landing. I also love big porches, got one for myself. Per my husbands request I don't use his power tools. Not sure if he's worried I'll hurt myself or his tools.lol! He's not very interested in my girls but will help with the heavy lifting when necessary. I only have 6 hives right now that I'm want to chang to screen bottoms so I want purchased them. Again thanks for all the help.

You might want to check out "Simpsons Beekeeping Supply" (Ohio). They make a nice SBB w/pull out tray $15. cj

Thanks CJ! I had already purchased them from Walter Kelley. I did check out Simpson's and plan to keep them in mind for furture purchases. Again thanks! Melisa

I just built an SBB from my own plans. The whole thing is cut from three 4 ft. pieces of 1x4 lumber (thats 3/4" x 3.5" in the real world). I made it deeper to add a screen fence around the bottom opening to try and keep the mites from crawling back into the hive and added a slopped landing board. Plans and pictures are available if I can figure out how and where to post them.

-- Dan O.

Here are the pictures of my SBB http://homepage.mac.com/dan_oetting/PhotoAlbum1.html

--Sorry, that link has expired but if you email me I can sen you a picture and the designs

[This message has been edited by DanO (edited November 11, 2004).]

DanO, what is your slideout tray made from?

Thanks,
    Roger

"what is your slideout tray made from?"

This is the corogated plastic you see littering the street corners. The sharks are pretty active in this area and it's been difficult to find them whole. Know your local ordinances and only remove the litter on the road right of way. Also avoid real estate, current garage sale and lost pet signs that may have an exclusion. I put the printed side down so as not to bother the bees

I'll probably replace the white with a darker color that will keep out more light. The plastic may bend slightly so on the bottom detail photo you can see the two staples I use to guide the plastic sheet into the grove on the front board.

I let the sides protrude out the front because I'm thinking of adding a snow awning for the winter. I think I lost a couple of hives one year because the snow drifted on the entrance board. Another option is to add some screened vent holes on the front board between the debris board and the bottom of the bottom board. Also, this partially enclosed space under the landing board looks like a good place to add an exhaust fan where it will be out of the weather.

And here are the plans. http://homepage.mac.com/dan_oetting/SBBplan.pdf

This is 1/5th scale so it will print out on a standard page in landscape mode. You probably don't want to build it to the same scale unless you have very small bees.