I recently visited a fellow beekeepers 3 bee yards. He uses a mix of wood framed wire excluders and white plastic excluders. I noticed the hives with plastic queen excluders had less than 25 percent of supered honey the other hives had and much honey stored in brood cells, and few bees in the drawn supers. The hives appeared to be of smilar strength. It could be coincidence or another problem, but I suspect the plastic queen excluders as causing problems. Does anyone have any observations and recomendations.

Do they have smooth rounded openings or the punched flat sheet with square edges?

Frankly I don't use one most of the time, but I do have some of each. I have some of the white punched ones, but don't like them much. I have some of the rounded plastic ones and like them better. I have some of the metal ones and of the wood bound metal ones. My favorite is the wood bound metal. They will burr it but the burr is easier to break than the propolis when it's right on the bars.

As far as the bees going through them, I didn't notice much difference, but I'm sure some manufacturing varies. Maybe the space is a bit tight on the white plastic ones. I did see one supplier (can't remember now which) selling out a bunch of white plastic ones that someone said were pretty tight on space. Some of the small cell beekeepers were interested because they wanted it smaller for the small cell bees.

Maybe it's some of these with the smaller openings.

They sometimes vary a lot. An inside caliper will measure the space.

Here's some comparisons: http://website.lineone.net/~dave.cus...udertypes.html

Michael Bush thanks for your reply and info. I too noticed alot of burr on these brand new plastic excluders, but not enough to cause the difference in honey stores. The plastic excluder holes were rounded. While at the yard, I "eyeballed" the spacing next to a wire excluder and they seemed about the same. A guage would definately be more accurate. Although queen excluders have their function, I also do not routinely use them.