Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone have one? Like it? Pros and cons?
    Where'd you get it in the US?

thanks,

Keith

Hey Keith,

Never used those smokers. Hows the bees doin down is SC? Small cell drawing and such? You try the plastic 4.9 again?

Clay

Hi Clay,

We (well ok - the bees did all the real work) did get some more 4.9 foundation drawn, and it is closer than last time to the true 4.9. The few measurements I have taken put me in the 5.0+ range, with some good patches of 4.9. I think next year they will have it. In the mean time the colonies are fat and happy and making the sweet stuff.

Also I am getting two small cell packages form Bolling bee to crank out some seed comb.

I sent most of the plastic 4.9 back. I kept 10 frames but had such a lousy time with it I have been reluctant to put it in. When I have a few more hives to fiddle with and really don't want to expand much more I may shake some bees onto it and give it another go.

Keith

[This message has been edited by kgbenson (edited May 20, 2004).]

All right, I'll bite. I did a search on "Raucheboy" and "Raucheboy smoker", and got bupkuss. What is it? Where'd you get yours?

That would be because I type faster than my hunt and peck method should really allow. It is Rauchboy.
    http://www.rauchboy.de.vu/

Sorry!!

Keith

I bought a Rauchboy smoker. Just got it yesterday. It is awsome. You can light it and it will never go out until it runs out of fuel, but it won't burn the fuel any faster that it needs to keep it lit. WOW! I should have bought one of these 30 years ago.
    http://members.westnet.com.au/beekeepers3/smokers.htm

And what did it cost? The Beekeepers3 website does not list a price!

The Rauchboy smoker is pricy. You have to call them for the exact price. They shipped it Express mail, which I didn't ask for, and which is about $13 by itself, and I bought a pair of gloves besides. It was $83 total.

Why not poke some holes in a soup can and stick that in your normal smoker?

I was planning that. I think it may work about as well, but I will let you know when I get it done. I've just been too busy to get it done.

My plan is to cut three sides of a square in three places and fold it out to make "fins" at the top of the can to hold it centered in the smoker and then drill a lot of 1/8" holes in the bottom and the bottom half of the sides, to resemble what the Rauchboy looks like. I don't see why it wouldn't work.

jfischer Guest

Why not just junk that tiny smoker provided
    with your beginner kit, and get a big one?

In smokers, size DOES matter. But go easy
    on the smoke. The idea is to mask alarm
    pheromones, not to create tear gas.
    http://www.beeculture.com/beeculture...aug/02aug2.htm

I bought one more out of curiosity than anything. Seems reasonable well constructed, thought the lid doesn't fit as tight as I would expect. It is an interesting bit of hardware. I am firing it up tonight or tommorrow for its maiden burn.

Keith

I HAVE the biggest one Dadant sells. It still goes out when I'm busy for a while and don't do anything with it.

Last night, I took a tin can and cut fins at the top to center it and holes in the bottom half (poked with a pocket knife). I'll try it soon and let everyone know if it works as well as the Rachboy.

I tried the tin can insert in the standard smoker today. Works great. I'd highly recommend it. The only advantage to the Rachboy would be that it's all stainless and won't rust out as fast as the can.

M B What kind of a can did you use for the inner can???????

It was a Campbell's chunky soup can. A little taller than the condensed soup cans. It's really working great. I have to cut my burlap a bit smaller because the can is smaller than the inside of the smoker was. I've been using the smoker with the can for a couple of days now and it stays lit until it runs out of fuel.

Seems like a few feet of stainless 2-3" pipe would make enough inserts for all of us. I'll check McMaster Carr and see.

Thanks Micheal for the report. Guess I'll have to buy a can of Cambell's soup. Thanks again.

I used to have trouble lighting and keeping my smoker lit. The solution I found is in the fuel. In Tulsa the tree trimmers are required to dump their waste at a recycling plant where the city turns it into mulch and compost. It is only partially decayed but is very dry and has long ripped fibers. I put a few of the smaller pieces in the bottom of the smoker and drop a lit match in. After 30 seconds I jam the can full of mulch and compost and pump the bellows about five times. After that the smoker will stay lit for over an hour with out pumping the bellows. Just a few pumps and you get back to thick cool white smoke. I have tried everything for fuel. Best of all this stuff is free!

Bought a can of Cambell Soup and tried the can in a smoker. I took a roofing nail and punched holes in the bottom that matched the bottom piece that is in the smoker with a few holes in the sides. It seems to stay lit better. More later

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast